We have a new forum for oil questions

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Firstly I'd like to thank Oilman for taking the time to answer all of our oil related questions.

I've made a new forum in the DIY section for us to post all of our oil related questions and queries.

This was actually suggested by Country Bumpkin and I think it is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

Firstly I'd like to thank Oilman for taking the time to answer all of our oil related questions.

I've made a new forum in the DIY section for us to post all of our oil related questions and queries.

This was actually suggested by Country Bumpkin and I think it is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

Waynne,

Thanks, lets hope we of some use around here :)

Cheers

Guy
Opieoils.co.uk

Reactions: Teo
i am in the process of remapping my skoda tsi petrol. i have been asked to use grade 10w60 ows or castrol. some say castrol is better than ows. both are fully synthetic. ows is half the price of ows ??

Castrol products are very good, as are many others. Castrol does have a habit of overpricing due to it's car manufacturer affiliations. I have a liking for Fuchs products, they are high performers and attractively priced. German origin, like OWS.

10w60 is very viscous, do you really need to go this far in a road car?

Thank you. There was a misprint in my msg. Pls read as castrol is half the price of ows. A friend working for Fuchs felt the same " why 10w60 for a road car. The company modifying the car to a higher bhp are insisting on 10w60 grade.
I never thought of Fuchs as a possible oil for cars in India. I will check

If you are running very elevated engine temperatures then 10w60 would be a sensible choice. But you need to ensure that it is stable at elevated temperatures, rather than just more viscous than 5w30 or 5w40 at more common temperatures. Castrol's 10w60 is a BMW M series specific oil and as such, would be a very good choice - the S engines run hot. I don't know what Fuchs offers in that viscosity.*

*just checked Fuchs' site - there's a 10w60 Supersyn available.

tks again, i am new to this forum so i don't know what to call you. fuchs does not sell car lubricants in india. i was reassured by a good friend who is in the lubricant business to opt for castrol. the guys modifying the car say they have checked the stability of the oil and it is suitable for the climate in chennai india. we have not 12 but 13 months of summer where the temperatures like in this month reach almost to 44 degrees. i am not too good at this so i have taken the advise of the garage and now you say that the M series uses the same oil. so great i am going for it and hoping for the best. my car shud be ready by month end. i am moving it up to 210 bhp from existing 160. the torque they say will go up from 25 kg to 33 kg and i am changing the exhaust to a miltek cat back with a resonator. cant wait for the change

No problem, my friend. It's an interesting project of yours. Given the ambient temperatures there, a stable 10w60 is a good choice. I think we have our answer with your friend's information - get the Castrol product and relax that you will have a very very good oil looking after your engine. I am very much liking the idea of the 33kgm torque figure.

Keep us updated here, it's always good to chat with people. I love the way that sites such as this open up communication channels across continents. The internet is a great tool.

As always, great to hear from you, stay well and chat again soon.

Best wishes, P.

Great. I will definitely keep you informed. I am quite enjoying this forum and the ability it gives you to refer and get honest replies from enthusiasts. Cheers

How do you pronounce Fuchs? Because if I buy two 5 litre cans of it and get a pain when I'm carrying it home, I might need to tell the doctor that I need something for Fuchs ache!

Oilman do you have any info on smokeless oil for cars as while am not not intending to use it just wanting to broaden my knowledge.??

I just pick up a 2012 Kia Rio 1.6L.
What would be the best over all brand of synthetic oil to use ?
My buddy is trying to convince me to put Royal Purple in it ?

Hi

Sorry, looks like I haven't been receiving notifications for some reason.

I would use a 5w-30 oil in the Kia.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Oilman do you have any info on smokeless oil for cars as while am not not intending to use it just wanting to broaden my knowledge.??

Hi

No, I don't think it exists as all oils will smoke if it's not burning properly. There are smoke suppressants in 2 stroke oil, but as a 4 stroke engine shouldn't burn a huge amount, smoke reduction is not something that the manufacturers worry too much about.

If there is plenty of oxygen and the oil is hot, it will burn with no/minimal smoke, but if the engine is cold and/or there is a lack of airflow, then it's likely to smoke.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

No, I don't think it exists as all oils will smoke if it's not burning properly. There are smoke suppressants in 2 stroke oil, but as a 4 stroke engine shouldn't burn a huge amount, smoke reduction is not something that the manufacturers worry too much about.

If there is plenty of oxygen and the oil is hot, it will burn with no/minimal smoke, but if the engine is cold and/or there is a lack of airflow, then it's likely to smoke.

Cheers

Tim

Thx U Tim for the Info.

Hi Guys,

I just bought a car, sent it to my Mechanic for inspection and the only issue my Mechanic told me that my car has P420 issue and squeaky sound at the axel whenever it went over hump or uneven road. Yesterday I went to another workshop to do engine flushing and the mechanic told me my engine oil is leaking. My first Mechanic didn’t told me about this. But I don’t see any oil dripping but just water. But the 2nd Mechanic showed me thicker oil everywhere
NbMdPd9URTyQjzkA6

Please advice what I should do first? So far no leaking of what I checked previously. Just shocked to see how it look like that. Much appreciated on the advices. Hope you able to view the image.

Clean it all off and see exactly where it's coming from. My guess is a worn sump gasket.

It could be a badly fitted oil filter that sorted oil around at some point.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back