water/methanol injection

D

dondon

hello i have a E36 318 whit supercharger
and i have ben reading about water/methanol injection but there is stil somthings i dont understang

on one site the says that it cools the engine and on another site the says that it gives more BHP which is it or is it both?????

and is it like NOS that i has to activate it every time i need to use it or is it just running alle the time ?????

and for last is it worth putting in my car?????​

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

if it is supercharged or turbocharged then yes it is worth it, you will get an increase in power due to its cooling effect, it also prolongs detonation, so mean you can run more boost and advance your ignition timing more....
totally worth doing

I have experience of water methanol injection on both turbocharged diesle and petrol engines. Injected it is used 50:50 water to methanol. A high pressure pump injects the fluid through a nozzle into the air flow from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.
On a 2 litre Subaru flat four I produce 506 bhp with road fuel only and 522 bhp with water/methanol on. The EGTs are reduced 50-100C with the system on.
Easy to install with reservoir and pump all under the bonnet. The systems I have experience of is mappable against both boost and injector pulse width.

On a 1.9 Vectra CDTi, I run a two stage water methanol system. Again 50:50. Stage 1 is a small 60ml/min jet, supposed to improve economy. I cannot determine that economy has increased. Stage 2 nozzle is bigger and used above say 1.4 bar on my set up at present. When first installed this system took the car from 216 bhp to 230 bhp The system can be switched off and on at will. With further tuning and developments of the engine I finally attributed 18 bhp to the water methanol injection. That same car is now running 279 bhp and 437 lbs/ft with the system on. More to come. Again much reduced EGTs.

You can also add methanol to the fuel tank but only on a petrol and to a set percentage and top up with petrol. The car has to be mapped for this and you have to stay exactly with that percentage on that map. Providing the car is mapped properly this results in good power gains and lower EGTs.

The advantage of the injection kit is that you can switch it off and on at will and you do not need a remap.

Methanol in the UK is relatively cheap but you need a clean, consistant quality supply. It is cheaper than petrol.

water/methanol injection injection will lower charge air temps & thus replace lost Power. A Larger or more efficient intercooler will do the same.
It cant make Power it just stops the ECU from pulling power from the engine.
If used it must be ECU controlled as charge air rises or it will lose power.

Sorry but this is not the case. The purpose of an intercooler is to lower air charge temperature and on a turbo charged petrol engine 10 deg.C. equates to approximately 3% power so if you are running at 30 degC. ACT and can reduce that to 20 deg.C on a 400 bhp engine at 30 deg.C. you will have around 412 bhp at 20 C. Conversely if inefficient intercooling or some other factor causes ACT to rise to 40 C. you are now running around 388 bhp.
On a petrol without altering significantly the ACT the power will increase along with torque for a number of reasons apart from the temperature control. It is possible to add more ignition advance and/or more boost because the fuel is now far more DET resistant having a higher Octane.
A recent example is a 2 litre Subaru mapped on the rollers running 506 bhp. Water methanol was then switched on and it was possible to take the car to 522 bhp, not because of any significant change in ACT (all of which is monitored) but because of the improved ignition curve coupled with a slight boost increase and improved spool.

On turbo petrol engines particularly but also naturally aspirated neat methanol can be added to the fuel. This greatly reduced EGTs adding a safety factor but again allows for greater ignition advance but another benefit is the methanol greatly oxygenates the fuel. Fuel maps have to be adjusted because the Lambda of methanol is around 7:1 from memory whereas petrol is 14.5.
As a rule of thumb, properly mapped a 2 litre turbo engine running 20% methanol will gain about 7.5% power.

On a diesel the water methanol is actually a fuel and on a 1.9 litre CDTi engine it is possible to increase power output from 250 to 268 bhp with no appreciable difference in ACT.
If you do a little research you will find a lot of information on the above but I am speaking from personal experience with the above figures.
HTH.

Water is not only an intake charge coolant but it's also an antidetonant.
Water or water meth will cool the intake giving more dense charge and can be used with intercoolers without the dreaded water fillilg the cooler, it simply dosen't happen in a well installed unit.
Running the right amount of water not only allows you to keep timing where it is but with propper tuning you can quite possibly increase timing and that is where you gain power.
Do a search for a Rumely oil pull engine. They had a special carby that fed fuel and water (it's a kerosine burning engine).

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back