Water injection to control carbon?

crust

Car
Hyundai 2.0 t sport
Hi all. Carbon build up on the intake valves is a known issue for GDI engines especially with turbo charging.

I am toying with the idea of installing a water injection system on my 2015 Sonata 2.0 turbo to control the carbon build up on the back side of the intakes.

I have installed a high grade catch can and am now thinking about the water injection setup.

My concern is that the ECU in these cars is locked so that no modifications can be made.

My question to the forum is: Can a water injection system be installed that would inject water and a small amount of meth into the engine at boost to control the carbon build up in the intake tract without having to re-map the ECU? The power is good on this car but I have had a bad experience with carbon build up on a previous GDI car and wish to prevent it on this new one.

Your input would be appreciated

crust

A progressive controller would work ok for this application. It will need voltage and PSI readings. There is a brand called Devils Own used for alcohol water injection which might be right for this.

You could always switch to an aftermarket ECU which gives more options. Or just use the BG intake cleaning system once a year to keep things in good order.

A progressive controller would work ok for this application. It will need voltage and PSI readings. There is a brand called Devils Own used for alcohol water injection which might be right for this.

You could always switch to an aftermarket ECU which gives more options. Or just use the BG intake cleaning system once a year to keep things in good order.

Thanks for the reply, obi_waynne. I have looked at the Devils Own water injection system which looks promising. Do you think if I used the smallest nozzle for my engine size that I could get by without having to re-tune the ECU. A new ECU is going a little farther than I really wanted to go.

I have had two cars in the distant past with water injection. One was a 76 Pontiac TransAm with a roots blower and the other was a 78 Camaro with a B and M street blower. Both ran a simple wind shield washer system using jets to inject water into the engine above the carburetor. After 80,000 miles the ZZ3 V8 engine on the Trans AM looked like new both in the intake tract and cylinder heads.

This system will have to be more complicated due to placing the jet in the pressurized intake tract. Looks like the devils own will increase the pressure to the jet as the boost pressure increases so that part will not be a problem. Just concerned about the ECU, will it have enough variance to compensate for the addition of water?

crust

I don't know the specifics of your engine. Most ecus will self trim to adjust the burn but this also depends on how much water is being injected as this could retard ignition a little.

More accurately the water will slow down the flamefront propagation. Most ECUs will advance as far as possible before the onset of knocking/pinking. As Obi says, depends upon how much water is being used and whether the ECU is happy to go that far with ignition advance.

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like from what I have read here and elsewhere on the net that if I just inject enough water/meth to clean my intake tract that the ECU will most likely compensate for the additional water.

This car has drive by wire. I guess it will be just like other cars and will not damage the throttlebody by injecting before the throttle body and after the maf which would put the nozzle in the pipe just before the throttle body. Sound right?

Crust

Sounds good to me if yours has a throttle body definitely after the maf though. For better spray, atomization and suspension inject up stream rather then across stream, 45 degree angle or so if you can or place injector on the apex of a bend.

Sounds good to me if yours has a throttle body definitely after the maf though. For better spray, atomization and suspension inject up stream rather then across stream, 45 degree angle or so if you can or place injector on the apex of a bend.

OK, thanks for that, will do. I'll let you all know when I get it done and the outcome afterwards, thanks for the heads up and the info.
crust

I see, diesel, no its gas. AFAIK all injection vehicles have throttle body but maybe not drive by wire. Looking at the throttle body on my car....It has wiring and a linkage instead of a cable from the throttle. But the electronics and all are on the outside so that inside where the water would be is just like a cable controlled throttle body.

I think this is one of those times when mental meandering was transferred to finger haha!
crust