Torque Cars

VW Bora V5 2.3L - is it worth putting money into it

Discussion in 'Bora/Jetta' started by nickkeech, 17 October 2011.

1. nickkeech

nickkeech Newbie

Australia, Canberra
    Car:
    VW Bora 2.3 V5
    Hi everyone

I've just bought a 2005 Bora V5 2.3L and i want to improve the performace.

I am thinking of putting the following onto the car:

* Extractors
    * New exhaust
    * New air flow intake system

Will i get significant performance improvement doing these things.

I am also curious as to how expensive it is to put in a turbo and whether that is a viable option with my bora.

I'm not great with cars so any advice would be awesome

Cheers

Nick

2. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Sort the handling first mate, even I sport trim its pants. I've got a bora and an inepensive set of jom shocks and springs changed it so much for the better.

3. nickkeech

nickkeech Newbie

Australia, Canberra
    Car:
    VW Bora 2.3 V5
    Thanks Yugguy - i'm not really worried about handling though, i just want to get more performance in particular i want it to be quicker accelerating. Any thoughts???

4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

5. Zwaf

Zwaf Road Burner

Croatia
    Car:
    Seat Ibiza 1,9TDI
    Got no idea about cost of implementing an turbo, but you must be prepared for significant amount of green ones if you decide to go that route. Implementation is rather complex and time/knowledge consuming job.
    However, power gains when properly done is nothing less then awsome.
    What you can do for less money is remap. I know that on atmo engines remap can not make some drastic changes, but with good egsaust and air feeding i guess you can gain 10 or 20 HP. I think your car have 170 HP on cranckshaft? It is up to you to decide is it worth it.
    Of course, maybe you can gain something with another camshaft in order of revs - more revs = More power.
    None of mentioned ways is inexpensive and you must have reliable mechanic/tuner if such things is beyond your skills. (It sure is to much to chew for myself, but you can bet there are peoples for whom such upgrades are peace of cake to manage).

In other hand, suspension upgrades can make you smile as often as almost any power upgrade. Bora can be very fun to drive with good suspension even at egsisting power. That depends on what about driving you prefere - twisties or straight line acceleration.

6. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    Hey and welcome to the site mate
    adding a turbo is possible but it is alot of work and £££ where as it could well be cheaper buying a turbo car to begin with
    quick read here
    http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/

to be honest mate selling it and buying ether the V6 or the 1.8t if your looking for performance.

7. jjudson82

jjudson82 Newbie

decatur, Ga USA
    Car:
    08 jetta s 2.5l
    what's up people, just saying new to the torque family, I an a owner of an inline 5 2.5l jetta or known as a Bora, there are a fee things you can do, upgrade spark plugs, if you have the ram air intake which came standard, just add a k&n air filter will give HP, Assn exhaust

8. jjudson82

jjudson82 Newbie

decatur, Ga USA
    Car:
    08 jetta s 2.5l
    what's up people, just saying new to the torque family, I an a owner of an inline 5 2.5l jetta or known as a Bora, there are a fee things you can do, upgrade spark plugs, if you have the ram air intake which came standard, just add a k&n air filter will give HP, an exhaust system, maybe borla cat back or nuespeed, or upgrade the pulley, all ate cheap ways to add some kick, must say this and work on suspension makes it fun, Vw arent 100% drag cars they are made for the zip and zoom

9. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Howdo. Any car is worth spending on if you like the car. And there's loads of stuff out there for the vag cars.