VW Bora 2.0 to 1.8T

waynehudd2

Car
VW Bora 2.0 se
Hi I'm new to this forum but wanted to join to speak with people who know abit about engine swaps.
iv got a 2.0 vw bora at the moment and its a real looker with flip paint, body kit, bonnet vents, exhaust etc... so i don't really want to get rid of the car but i would like something a fair bit quicker.

iv been looking at the 20v 1.8t engines from the mk4 golf/bora and i can get one from around £450 (don't know if that's cheaper not). I'm not expecting to be able to do the work myself for the swap but want to know how much work is actually involved and how difficult it is to do.

is this probably the best way to go with the engine then maybe uprated turbo with an intercooler. or is there a much easier way to get better power with what i already have?

thanks alot
Wayne

Hi I'm new to this forum but wanted to join to speak with people who know abit about engine swaps.
iv got a 2.0 vw bora at the moment and its a real looker with flip paint, body kit, bonnet vents, exhaust etc... so i don't really want to get rid of the car but i would like something a fair bit quicker.

iv been looking at the 20v 1.8t engines from the mk4 golf/bora and i can get one from around £450 (don't know if that's cheaper not). I'm not expecting to be able to do the work myself for the swap but want to know how much work is actually involved and how difficult it is to do.

is this probably the best way to go with the engine then maybe uprated turbo with an intercooler. or is there a much easier way to get better power with what i already have?

thanks alot
Wayne

The 1.8T 4 cylinder petrol engine of which your speak is a belter. VAG has offered it in many different levels of tune

If I'm correct your car has the 2.0 eight valve which was used in the late 1990's Golf GTi models. It was very driveable. Not the fastest of 5 dr hatches but very very flexible indeed.

Hi there from another Waynne but one with 2 n's! Nice to meet you.

The 1.8T is the engine of choice. There are a few options around as they were supplied in power levels from 150 to 225bhp. Ideally get a 170 or better engine or the AGU engine which has forged internals IIRC.

You will need the gearbox, ecu and will have to reprogram the Immobiliser and door locks as well but this swap has been done many times, is not particularly hard to do and is well documented.

The engine does sound rather cheap to me.

The turbos range from the K03, K03s and K04 with the lowest capacity listed first. All engines should remap easily to 200bhp, bigger power at the start means bigger power at the end.

hey and welcome.

is your bora DBW or cable ? if its DBW then swapping to the AGU is slightly harder.
AGU does have stronger internals and a better head on it, however has the smallest turbo on it. max safe power is around 200bhp

later AUM and AUQs come with the k03s turbos (dont ask vw for it as it doesnt exsist, they are all k03 in vws) this is slightly bigger and better flowing, max power on these turbos is around 240.

the K04 powered models - mainly AMK and BAM are in the seat cupra R, S3 and the 225 TT. allways attract a premium due to the higher power levels ( talking these engines normall closer to £2k compared to the around £1k for the others)

going to go against waynne here. ko3 max 200, k03s max 240, k04 max around 290 is safe.
as the blocks are very similar if your wanting to go for big power then you need to look at new turbos. the kkk ones arnt that good with the k03 being heavily restrictive and the k04 being pretty laggy.

you will need for the swap

Engine
Gearbox
ECU
engine loom
Driveshafts
suspension
Hubs
Brakes - the 2.0 has a pretty bad setup that cant be upgraded cheaply. hubs can be picked up 2nd hand for around £50 for the pair. from here using new discs and pads you can have a 4pot setup for easily under £500 (been there and done it)
post about my brakes here http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f47/my-bora-10747/#post114039

you will also need to find someone to code the ECU to the instrument clocks and keys. plenty of folk will do this for beer money

Thanks PG, I should have added to use a better turbo on the AGU. (It is my block so I'm a bit biased!:D)

sorry just noticed when i said max safe levels i was talking about the turbos.

the blocks themselves are "safe" for 300 with the part forged - AGU and AMK safe at 350

cheers you guys for this, been helpfull. i take it the gearbox and drive shafts for the engines are different then and aren't compatible with each other?

iv got the suspension at the moment on coilovers which are apparently suitable.
so it would be the rest to concentrate on.

are there many reliable options to go down for pulling more power from the 2.0 8v engine?

not sure on the gearbox but im certain the shafts are different
try and get the 6 speed boxif you can

you can get more power out of the 2.slow but for the money involved you could have the 150bhp 1.8 in a lot cheaper, gettig a later engine and a map your talking 100 bhp more than the 2.0

ok yeh, well i know somebody who might be breaking a skoda octavia vrs. would i be right in understanding that the 1.8t from that and alot of the parts would match the bora?

the VRS has the same engine as mine (AUQ) runs with 180bhp and the 03s turbo, same ecu as well
the only difference is the gearbox. the rs gets the 5spd
the vws that used the AUQ got a 6spd

the 5spd is cheaper to get bits for - flywheel and clutch parts cost around £170 for uprated ones
6spdm is closer ratioed - im looking at close to a £1k for parts