vtec

i have a rover 216 coupe wit a 1.6 16v sohc engine. is it possible i can bolt a 1.5 sohc vtec head on2 my block and have vtec power.
or will i have 2 do more 2 the engine
cheers

Last edited:
Hi Shaun and welcome to TorqueCars. I'm a bit of a Rover fan - I had a 220GTi which I tuned to the max! Sadly it was unreliable and expensive to run! :( Great drive though - nice predictable lift off oversteer.

You'll need a new ECU the MEMS unit from Rover is not the most flexible of units. The VTEC mechanism is electronically governed. The 1.8VVC with variable valve timing is the nearest you could get to a VTEC and would be the best engine swap outside of a mental Tomcat turbo swap.

you may need the ecu for the controller

had a thought the vtec is controlled by a valve operated by oil. when the vtec comes on it lifts the cam slightly to bring it onto another set of lobes.

i would hope that its based in the head but not sure

The actual VTEC mechanism is indeed a mechanical device but there is an electronic VTEC controlled to activate this. You can get the VTEC to kick in at a lower point in the rev range for better acceleration and I'm 90% sure this is a remap type mod. The Honda rover engine is just not compatible with a VTEC head IMHO.

so if i actually bought the vtec head inlet manifold and ecu etc. do u think it would work? or would a whole engine change be better?
cheers

A whole engine is the way to go. I still maintain that a VVC conversion is easier and should give more power. Have you seen the motobuilt turbo charged VVC? It was in a gold Rover 200 and went like a rocket!

I hope you can post up some pics of your rover when you get to 10 posts- I remember the coupes with great nostalgia.

hey shaun,u can put a new engine probably of a Honda accord.The Indian version is a 3.0L V6 engine giving 225bhp. Add to it a turbo kit,4-2-1 Borla/Nitto exhaust system. Fit an ecu,air induction kit,headers and manifolds. Do not put NOS or a supercharger.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back