vectra sri trouble

matmerlin69

Car
vectra SRI
hi i have a sri vectra only a baby. i bought itcheap with the engine light on. the seller had it on the tech 2 and it came back cam sensor. so i replaced that with a new one and crank sensor just in case. but it still has the same trouble .... wont rev above 4500 really holding back and the plugs were jet black with carbon. since i have had it its ran fine once.... any ideas

i would go to the clearing faults first,

hmmmm cam sensor....
can you give more info?

what spark plugs you fited ? bosch super 4 ? (these aren't nice on your engine)
how's the idling ?
does it fluctuates at 1500/2000 rpm stactionary ?
the trotle body and breather hole are cleaned ?
do you know out to earth the engine ?
timing belt tension ? is it good?
one of the branches on the inlet manifold had a little vacuum pipe ? is it in good condition? any other vacuum pipes are worth to check also
the crank sensor is tightened properly? cam sensor... how's the wiring/conectors?
coil pack ?
run out of ideas...
i would go trough this options to see if anything improves ?

its very lumpy on tick over then seems to be labouring through the revs gets to 4500 and drops out to 4000 and stays there like its hit a limiter. i put ngk plugs in. checked and clead throttle dody all vacume pipes seem ok
cam and crank sensors are new. puzzled the plugs were jet black with soot so suggests its running rich. other than that im out of ideas without doendin a fortune

i only can thing about the air flow meter then...
try to disconect it and see if it makes any diference.
let me know the result. if it doesn't start get someone to turn the key while you unplug the air meter. this should make it start if it is the air meter faulty.

air meter then....
if didn't make any diference to the engine unplugin the air meter its because the air meter is messed up. replace it !

Dealer for you and ECU interrogation then I think. For some reason Vauxhall diagnostic codes are a bit ambiguous so make sure the dealer doesn't get carried away playing the process of elimination game. This can be costly. My father runs an Astra and that's been problematical and pricey to maintain so go in forewarned.

Best of luck

P.