vectra dti

octoman

Wrench Pro
Car
vauxhall vectra dti
hi just put new stat and cts sensor in my vectra 2.0 dti on 03 plate but its still using alot of diesel , hopefully going to get two broken glowplugs out so it starts a bit better but do not know what else it could be , hope somebody can help

Howdo. Glowplugs aren't just for starting, when it is cold they will stay on for a good while to help detonation so if yours are gash this might well be what's killing your mpg.

PSA's HDi engines don't require glow plug for startup until ambient is below minus ten celsius.

However, they are crucial for particle filter regeneration.

hi thanks for replies but iv been told that vaux dti engines dnt need glowplugs till minus 10 as well but im going to and drill mine out if weather dont get any worse but i dont know what else to do apart from scrapping it

Your car doesn't have a DPF so no worries about that. If it gets sub -10 though it'll be a headache trying to start it.

You could, of course, just leave it and hope that the temperature doesn't go that low.

hi its a pig to start now , when it starts it sounds like its running on two cylinders and then it goes to four and smokes a lot , it does this even when weather is warm

That's probably exactly what's happening - running on two initially. Looks like the car is trying to use them during the cold weather, even though it's not super cold.

Try this - bottle of Forte Diesel treatment. This might well improve the injector spray pattern thus aiding better starting and running in general. I know it's not an alternative to sorting out the plugs but if it gets you through in the short term it might be a good idea. I'd also steer clear of supermarket diesel fuel too if that's what you're using.

thanks hdi fun i was using supermarket fuel but changed to shell plus i have put redex but still the same been told to put 2 stroke oil in with 10 litres of fuel but how much 2 stroke do i put in thanks

Redex's diesel product is not the best to be honest, it's cheap enough in Asda mind and it won't do any harm.

The two stroke oil thing is debatable. I have heard of people get good results but sometimes I wonder if that's down to other things besides. The jury is out. . . . . .

Forte's product is far superior, but also consider BK244 - google it for a supplier. If anything I think this is a better product than Forte's but it is v pricey.

If you do try the two stroke oil thing then I reckon 1 litre in 50 litres of fuel. You'll not do any damage trying but at £5 a litre for the stuff I'd put the fiver towards Forte's or the BK244 product.

Good luck and keep us informed. Welcome to Torque Cars, incidentally.