Vauxhall Astra mk4 1.6 8v

1greeny1

Morning people, just wanted to ask a quick question, im new to this site so hi before i start, basically i have a 1.6 8v astra, runs fine no probs at all, however ive gotten used to it and its starting to bore me and i want more speed, i just wanted to know if anyone has actually done anything to this car and if it will be worth the money i will be spending on induction kit, exhausts etc, anyway just want to know if i was to go out and buy an induction kit now, should i buy an actual kit or just an uprated panel filter? also would i be able to feel the difference straight away?

Thanks in advance guys.

HI 1greeny1, welcome to torquecars where ordinary cars turn into flame spitting dragsters overnight (Sorry got a bit carried away there - just been on a marketing course!! :lol: . What do you think of the site? We have lots of plans for the near future so stay tuned )if you pardon the pun) :rolleyes:

Do you want more fun - if so add induction kit and sports box for a great racy sound. 8)

Do you want more speed - switch the gearbox for one with higher ratios this will kill acceleration but you will have more top end speed. :evil:

Do you want more power? The options are almost endless. Engine swap with an SRi 130, 2.0 GTE 1.8 lumps. Add a supercharger/turbo - need to do a remap also. Add NOS lots of power and fairly good bang per buck. :twisted:

On a sensible level - a panel filter would give a little more top end power. An induction kit would rob you of low down Torque so you'll need to sit in the high rev ranges more. A good fast road cam would have a profound effect on the Astra 1.8 Lump. I think a 16v head swap is also possible.

Fitting A NOVA SR gearbox would lower your ratios and give better acceleration. I'm prettty sure this is a straight swap but please check with a mechanic before going to the scrapyard.

I've moved this topic into the Vauxhall forum - it was getting buried in general car chat. How are the modding plans going?

if you want loads of bottom end power then i would get a gte nova gearbox and put a 1.3sr diff in. it will only give you about 107 mph top end but very quick getting there!!! thats is what im doing.i think its a f13 or a f15 gearbox and the diff i think its a 4;7;1 i think.