Valve Springs Duratec 2.0l

fordfantastic

Car
ford focus cc
Hi
I am looking for a bit of help please I have a 2008 ford focus cc I will put some pics up when I can, I am going to be running 8.5:1 pistons forged conrod crank rod bearing Ect, Apr bolts & studs, TD04 turbo & after market manifold will be running at 12- 15 psi, race head gasket.I already have all the above parts.
Will need a piggy back ECU still to buy yet
My question is I want to run standard cams but need to uprate the valve spring and I was just wondering which ones to buy that will work with standard cams up to about 300 BHP.
Ken

Hi and welcome.

If you are running standard cams I assume that you are not planning to rev the engine higher than these cams are designed for? In that case I would have thought that a new set of standard valve springs would be fine. Uprating the springs wouldn't do any short term harm but will use more power to compress them and increase wear on cams and followers.

Why do you want to uprate the valve springs?

Hi
Thanks for the reply I am going to uprate the cams at a later stage but If I do the springs now all I have to do is drop the cams & sprockets in at a later date, Do you think It will do any damage to use piper or cosworth spings with standard cams. I do not want to put high lift cams in and lose bottom end as a lot of the cams I have looked at are mid to top end range.
Ken

The springs will do no more damage to good condition standard cams than they would to a good quality performace version. If you are building with the view to upgrading the cams at a future date then putting them in now isn't a problem, other than they won't be new when you come to change the cams and you will still have to change the followers.

Springs can be changed without removing the head (if you have access to a compressor) so no extra work would be required to change them at the same time as the cams.

Hi
Thanks I will do bottom end & turbo first, Then may be move on to the cams & springs I still need to find a piggy back ecu as well to run turbo and other bit & bobs, Do you think the ecu below will do job ok ?
AEM FIC Universal Fuel/Ignition Controller 4 Cylinder Piggy back ECU 30-1910

Can't recommend or endorse them as I've not used them or heard from anyone who has but MoTeC have a product which ticks the box, for knock control. They even offer a standalone knock module which MAY be usable alongside an aftermarket ECU.

I know performance engines are supposed to be perfectly setup but it only takes a bad batch of fuel or misfire to destroy an engine which would have been saved by a knock sensor.

Thanks I will look into it What does a knock sensor do just shut the engine down or put it into limp, In my boy racer days Give me a mk1 lotus cortina and I will be at home.

Stay away from Morrisons/Asda/Tesco etc fuel then. In my experience these are all poor compared to 'branded' fuel. They do meet the relevant BS/ISO standards. Just about.

The knock sensor should just cause the ECU to retard the ignition or slightly increase fuelling on the offending cylinders.

I am afraid I don't. The knock sensor itself is a piezo-electric transducer screwed into the head or block; your car will have one as standard. I imagine pretty much any aftermarket ECU will have facility to connect it.

I am afraid I don't. The knock sensor itself is a piezo-electric transducer screwed into the head or block; your car will have one as standard. I imagine pretty much any aftermarket ECU will have facility to connect it.
No so unfortunately HDI. Very few aftermarket ECU's have this facility and in the main manufacturers don't seem that bothered by it. I'm open to any convincing explanations as to why but at the moment it would be an essential for me.

I guess this piggy back thing will do the job. But, as you may have guessed by my wording, I am not a fan of these things, seems to be a cheapskate, boy racer, bodge to me :)

However, it is a cheap way to get some sort of control over your engine.

No so unfortunately HDI. Very few aftermarket ECU's have this facility and in the main manufacturers don't seem that bothered by it. I'm open to any convincing explanations as to why but at the moment it would be an essential for me.

They don't? Possibly because aftermarket ECUs are purchased and installed with no need to comply with emissions laws etc. ie for cars that are not used on the road? Over fuelling is an easy way to stop detonation. That negates the need for knock sensing. In the same way that solid tyres negate the need for air pumps.

Hi are the injetors on the duratec the same plugs as Bosch Green Giant 42lb / hour Fuel I think they are EV1 connections ?
As for a piggy back ECU I can not use a stand alone as I need the factor ECU for all the usual standard things It operates, As for fuel / Ignition Timing ECt the factor ECU will run the car up to say 3,000 rpm then the piggy back steps in and tricks the factor Ecu to up the fuel & other things when you go above 3,000 rpm, as far as I understand.

Ken

*URL removed as per our T's & C's*
Sorry Ken, as a new member you need to have made 10 posts before the system will allow any photos or URL's through, this helps us to deter the spammers.

T9 man
Super Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator: