vag com / OBD-II

02paynemi

Tuner
Car
A3 1.8t quattro T
I am having a problem setting up Vagcom / obd-II. I got off of eBay one of the translucent blue cable with obd-II on it. Have managed to install is as hardware so laptop “see’s” the cable. But have tried downloading a few types of free software to run it with but never got the laptop to find the car.

remember that vagcom only allows connection on ports 1-4. you can change it in the device manager.
does vagcom see the see the cable ?
you may also have to adjust the baud rate - sorry cant give you my settings as not used it since ive installed win7. thanks for reminding me as ill need to set it up soon
Peace.gif

ive issues with the wifes car as cant access the engine component but everything else is ok, yet on mine theres no problem.

Thanks, I used that link and vagcom is working properly now.

Am I right in saying you can pay to get extended versions with more stuff. I am using 409.1.

also I have OBD-diag installed on my computer seems to have it all, and looks quite user friendly, but can’t get that working either.

409 is the basic free version. then theres the registared version of 409 which opens everything up rather than just the 1st 20 measuring blocks on each sections, along with all the function tests ( cant remember if they are in the unreg. version)
409 can only be used on the Mk4 varients, up to around 2004/5

then theres 7xx and 8xx both use only ross techs official cable, circ £200, these can be used on the more modern CANBUS varients 2005 >. unfortunately you need the correct cable for it to be backwards compatible with the earlier ECUs

spend time learning some of the basics - TBA being the main one much better than allowing the ECU to adapt itself

I must say I had nothing but problems with eBay cables and just randomly working sometimes and failing at others.

I eventually took the plunge and bought a RossTech cable and VagCom 908 and its worth every penny.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back