Turbocharging an Audi v8 engine

maxiice

Car
Audi
Hi, I am about to build an audi v8 engine and adding turbo/s

I have done some research an obvious the best is to upgrade the rods and pistons.
However, this engines i can get complete for about 500$ so i dont mind blowing up.

But if i do blow it up without reaching 6-700 hp, i will start saving for the bottom end upgrades, This would be about 2500-3000 dollars...

So about the build.
I am thinking steel plate between to head gaskets. This plate i can get in different sizes, so i can go down to 7:1 but that is probably to low.

The motor is to be in an Audi coupe for track use, just driving around with friends.
And i have already fitted an similar V8 in there, but non turbo.
Also using an DTA pro 80 and 860cc injectors...

i am building the turbo engine in another block.

So, i hawe a pair of T3 garret turbos GT35 ar 82. I am thinking of just juse one in a single turbo setup, I am shore it wont flow 600hp, but maybe 500.
Also there should no be so much lag with tha 4.2 litre engine.

Also i have a couple of S6+ v8 heads, they have bigger cams and lighter ex valves, better flow and mechanical valve lifters, so it has a higher rpm limit.

However the s6+ engine has higher compression 11.6:1 so that must be calculated for...

The build has not started yes, so hoping for some input on compression ratio and turbo choice... for a start...

Have you explored supercharging? I think that is a better proposition on these engines. They do not reach particularly high RPM levels so turbo boost is laggy and minimal.

Compression plates are a bit of a bodge IMO but as you say there is little to lose as you are picking the engine up so cheaply.

The maths is simple paul

Car + turbo = zoooooooom!

Unfortunately it just isnt that simple (but to be fair the op he clearly knows that )
It isnt just add one on and go loads faster (if only:lol:)

Re the actual question

I would question the turbo choice in as much as they are used as twins not singles on V8s .

Also the cr is very high - possible as wayne says it isnt an engine ideally suited to turbos .
Still if you want to try it and have nothing to lose go for it

Well the compression is not set yet. But i think i vil end up wit ca 8.5:1

As for supercharger, I am not so fammiliar with them, I am more of a turbo guy.

Here is a picture of the coupe, not looking so good now, but its gonna get a paint job, and bodywork, and a new rs2 bumper

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/maxiice/Coupe/DSC01181.jpg

And another one
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/maxiice/Coupe/DSC01185.jpg

Here are the connecting rods i am thinking about

And the Pistons

Also ben thinking about this turbo

Setting up this turbo with a divided turbine aloes me to feed eatsh side of the turbine from a separate bank from the V8.

And making a custom header 4-2-1 from eatch side...

Again this are just thoughts, But i have gotten another V8 engine to start building on.

Well the compression is not set yet. But i think i vil end up wit ca 8.5:1

As for supercharger, I am not so fammiliar with them, I am more of a turbo guy.

Here is a picture of the coupe, not looking so good now, but its gonna get a paint job, and bodywork, and a new rs2 bumper

*Removed URL links as per our T&C's! Sorry buddy but you need to make 10 posts before the system will allow you to post any photos or URL's, this helps us to fight the spammers*
T9 man
Super Moderator.

Setting up this turbo with a divided turbine aloes me to feed eatsh side of the turbine from a separate bank from the V8.

And making a custom header 4-2-1 from eatch side...

Again this are just thoughts, But i have gotten another V8 engine to start building on.

Unfortunately it just isnt that simple (but to be fair the op he clearly knows that )
It isnt just add one on and go loads faster (if only:lol:)

Re the actual question

I would question the turbo choice in as much as they are used as twins not singles on V8s .

Also the cr is very high - possible as wayne says it isnt an engine ideally suited to turbos .
Still if you want to try it and have nothing to lose go for it

Well putting in new forged pistons with 8.5:1 and forged rods changes that.
A tuner in Norway has built an angine like this with 1500 HP

Wow ! ! That's quite something :)

Yes, it is, but i am not aiming to go that far, I wont be able to use that power on a small track But using the same internals, is a good idea for anything over 600 HP

Still havent decided to go budget or big$$$ :confused:

If you have the means (and can carry on eating as well) then go big budget. I wish I had the skills and the financial might to do it.

Keep us all informed of your project(s) and good luck ! ! !

Thanks for the support (y)
Oh well i have som music gear i can sell, That damn band just kick`t me out of the group, :sad2: telling me i was not dedicated inouf, This is probably related to me beeing in the garage for 8-10 hours a day lately...

That gear should provide some cash for the internals in the engine :D

BTW the links i upploded did not turn in to pictures like i hoped