Turbo timer and quarter mile times

juice23

hmm.so if u are familier whit my auto subaru,i went out and bought a standard one i am wondering what she will do one the track. will a turbo timer help on the 1/4 miles

A turbo timer keeps the engine running after you switch off the engine so no a turbo timer will not help. However you may be referring to an electronic boost controller and this will help as you can dial in the power to come on in stages.

It's more to keep the engine running - the turbo will continue to spin of its own accord as soon as the engine is switched off and that is the problem.

A turbo timer keeps the engine running which lets the oil circulate otherwise with the heat in the turbo you will fry off the oil and you will seriously damage your turbo.

When the engine is off the oil is no longer being pumped round and with a turbo spining at 100,000's of RPM it will quickly degrade its own lubrication. This can also cause sludge build up. So its always best to let a turbo engine cool down a bit before you turn it off especially if you've been doing some high rev driving ;)

Agree with Waynne, except about the spinning turbo. The turbo will stop spinning pretty quickly once engine is switched off. The exhaust impeller is connected to the intake one. Pressure quickly builds up in the intake track once engine is switched off, stopping both impellers.

The turbo will be cherry red after a hard run and, as the oil pipes supplying the turbo are small, the oil will quiickly burn and clog up the pipes if engine is switched off with turbo glowing. Not good.

Instead of spending your hard-earned money on what is, basically, a gimmick, simply ease off the throttle a little way from your destination :) If you can't do this, then simply let the engine idle for a few minutes before switching it off (this is all the turbo timer does).

However, one advantage of the timer is that you can lock your car up whilst engine is running.

should be pointed out. it is technacly illegal to have your car running without you being there, also your insurance would be invalid for same reason.

like o.g says stay off the boost for a couple of miles and let it idle for a min or two.

Your all forgetting that a turbo timer is a lot more convenient & cooler than not using the turbo for a few miles before you stop & idling before you turn the engine off. If your in a rush then you race home and stop the engine straight away, no way to avoid that damage, but a turbo timer will do the job fine ;)

Your all forgetting that a turbo timer is a lot more convenient & cooler than not using the turbo for a few miles before you stop & idling before you turn the engine off. If your in a rush then you race home and stop the engine straight away, no way to avoid that damage, but a turbo timer will do the job fine ;)

Racing home? On the highway? Naughty boy :)

However, normal, or even spirited, driving (within the law) will not cause the turbo oil to cook. If it did, then all manufacrurers of turbo cars would have to fit one!

If you cane your car on a track, letting it tick over in the paddock for a few minutes is no hardship. You can then spend the money saved on something really useful, like a pretend notrous purge kit or an exhaust flame kit :)

ok sounds good i went to the track two night and i ran a 17.25 et. 77 mph. 1/4 miles /sucks. had prob.to get the car in 3 rd.i am gonna put the turbo on my new subaru . i blew the tranny on my other one.i am gonna see now if i will burn the motor or not.