Tunning - where to start?

Traveller8

Car
Vw polo 1.4
Hi All,
Just joined the forum to tap your knowledge on VW tunning.
I have a 2002 vw polo 1.4 16v with 54k miles. I would like to start a tunning project to make increase power, handling and brake performance, so eventually for use on occasional track days.
Is this a good base car for tunning? Does anyone know of a reputable tunning company?
Appreciate your advice.

Hi and welcome

Before trying to advise you, how long have you had a full licence and how old are you?

Hello and welcome to the forum!,most people start with an induction kit and exhaust system,it all depends how far you want to go tunning is a project which can cost a large amount of money you may have to have deep pockets,however i wish you luck with your project.

Hi and welcome

Before trying to advise you, how long have you had a full licence and how old are you?

Hi,
Like your name sake, I am an old git. I am thinking about selling the car or tune it up for weekend fun. Like to get it to around 150 bhp with matching upgrade to handling and brakes. The chassis has plenty in reserve now with the standard 100bhp 1.4 16v engine, I think they call it a 9N.
Thanks for your response.

i would say no for a good base for tuning. well not the engine / gearbox anyway.
there was someone trying to charge the 1.6 16v engine. he did get around the 150bhp but it was unreliable as hell.
the alloy 1.4 and 1.6 engines also have a problem when it comes to stripping the engine down that the block can twist rendering it usless
some gearboxes, again for the 1.4 and 1.6s (1.4 and 1.6 are basically the exact same engine), are made of chesse.

you could go down the route of the Mk3 16v golf engine - sorry cant remember the codes the now. for the 150bhp pretty easy. or if your after a more difficult route then the 1.8 turbo engine would give you 150-240 depending on what one you use. however you will need the immobilier in the ECU disabled.
brakes not much you can do without changing the hubs or getting custom made