Tuning the 2.2 Hdi

Griff

Car
Griffith 4.3
May I come in on the side and open up the discussion to the 2.2 or would you prefer to start a new thread?

Mr HDi, as a result of your tuning article I road tested a 2.2 HDi Coupe manual. - I liked the car generally, particularly the mature ride and looks...however, I have various latent desires should i actually buy one

Just how far can the torque be pushed reliably as the std car is woefully slow (2.0 d X Type much brisker!) - assuming it can be tranformed, are there any interior veneer dres up kits to cover the glossy std placky?

To upgrade to Cruise Control, what sort of cost? - Is it simply adding a stalk (ie is std car drive by wire and ECU already?)

I felt no turbo rush whatever on the car (no reason to doubt integrity of vehicle as it belonged to MD of Pug Dealer and done 96k) - can a remap provide some on boost rush aswell as a mountain of torque?

Would adding alco injection make enough difference to warrant cost?

What is best motorway cruise economy available on Mr HDis modded motor and best overall with local driving? - How much does brisk driving hammer this? - Not interested in speeds above 100mph, just acceleration

Any ideas on bigger, more attractive rims - I would ideally want to go up say 2" in rim diameter and only come down one in profile and even one in width - the idea being to improve looks and 80 mph cruise economy

Re: How shall I tune My 2002 406 HDI (90)

Mine's delivering over 320lbft and it is much more urgent that the standard level of tune. Mine was reverted briefly last year and it was, err, uninvigorating to say the least but still not slow

The X type 2.0D is very credible but If you find it to be much quicker, if at all, than the 2.2 HDi you should question the one you drove as the performance should be similar. The Xtype does exhibit a little less turbo lag than the Peugeot, but not to the degree you're experiencing it appears.

On a motorway run you should see better than 40mpg if you insist on driving up to 100mph (I do!!).

In generally get 37-38 in mixed mode driving.

As for cruise, don't know but I imagine the whole lot is there within the ECU already. You will need a switch. But you might need to unlock that portion of the software - don't know how this is done.

You might also need the switches on the gearbox, clutch pedal and brake pedal.

Mine's delivering over 320lbft and it is much more urgent that the standard level of tune. Mine was reverted briefly last year and it was, err, uninvigorating to say the least but still not slow

The X type 2.0D is very credible but If you find it to be much quicker, if at all, than the 2.2 HDi you should question the one you drove as the performance should be similar. The Xtype does exhibit a little less turbo lag than the Peugeot, but not to the degree you're experiencing it appears.

On a motorway run you should see better than 40mpg if you insist on driving up to 100mph (I do!!).

In generally get 37-38 in mixed mode driving.

As for cruise, don't know but I imagine the whole lot is there within the ECU already. You will need a switch. But you might need to unlock that portion of the software - don't know how this is done.

You might also need the switches on the gearbox, clutch pedal and brake pedal.

Greetings, a genuine 320 lb ft over a decent rev range should be a rather quick car (what is td motor?) - what mods have been done and who would you recommend carry out the work with what approx cost?

I assume the clutch / flywheel are not a problem (dual mass sydrome?) - is there an Auto tranny option and would that take the torque ok do you think?

Anyone any thoughts / contacts on water injection?

Any suggestions on 2" larger dia wheels / tyres (max non scraping rolling diameter sought, not low profiles - reduction to 205s may well be good idea due to increased footprint afforded by larger circumference and clearance issues)

Re fuel consumption, tested car bears out your findings - computer had 37 mpg recorded over 3000 winter miles - I would hope for high 40s min cruising at c 75 with remap and hopefully over 50 with modded intake / backbox - 55 with large dia tyres?!

It is genuinely quick. 30-60mph in third in gear less than five seconds for example. And stacks of pull in fifth as well

The wheel fitment on mine is a 4 stud 15" with 205/60 VR

225/45 ZR 17 will give nearly the same radius (less than 2 % difference).

The only mod is to the ECU everything else is standard"!!!

The clutch was replaced at 117,000 miles (having been remapped sine 50,000) so no complaints. We did replace the DMF with a solid one as it was starting to show signs of wear.

If you cruise at 75 steadily then 50mpg should be easily achieved.

I'm a press on kind of driver so am happy with 38-40mpg.

Let's face it, I'd need a very good 3.0-3.5 litre petrol engine to give me this kind of performance. And that would probably struggle to do more than 20mpg driven with enthusiasm.

Don't increase the overall rolling radius.

Last edited: