Tuning Advise

AD08

Wrench Pro
Car
Civic 1.6SE 02
Hi Guys
Im new to the site and to the modifiying game. Bought myself a 1.6 civic SE 02 plate in February and so far ive been very pleased with it. Ive made afew ICE mods (Head unit, subwoofer etc). Im looking to start doing some performance modification but dont know where to start.
Anyone got some ideas and what kind of performance gains it gives?
:)

the easiest and wallet friendly way of upgrading any car is to change the air filter from the stock one to an aftermarket one such as K&N's 57i costing around £80 and adding about 5-10bhp on average and also there are a lot of people who have received more mpg from it burning fuel more efficiently

another thing you can do is add an aftermarket exhaust full system which would set you back about £300 but add a further 5-15bhp and with the manifold as well will add more mid range power

from here everything gets much more expensive but if you have cash to splash i'm sure Prince will tell of all the sorts of turbo's, and what have you, that you can add

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise chaps
As im still only 18 im not looking to add to much power for insurance purposes :( so i guess an engine swaps out of the question.
Probably only looking to add about 30 hp jus enough to make it feel abit more nippy.

30 bhp without putting insurance up is impossible m8, slightest whiff of performance products on a car makes the insurance company have a party with the amount your premium would go up by, and not telling the insurance (although extremely tempting) is not the best route to go dwn as you get in all sorts off trouble if your caught

Ok maybe i should leave the engine stock for now til ive got afew more years + no claims bonus under my belt. Or just look to fit a new air filter and exhaust muffler just to make it look abit more racey. Got some quotes and looks like that'll put my insurance up by £100. :sad2:
Was hoping to do afew other things aswell:
-Tinted back windows
-Wolfrace Octane Redline rims
- Type R style spoiler
-New brakes front
-Lowered
But might have to wait for my insurance renewal next year before lookin into getin all that done. :toung:
Ill put some pics on my profile later of what it looks like atm.

And ye, not tellin insurance company about mods is a bad idea. Know someone who put a cosworth engine in his Ka, spent 10,000 on it in all. It was abit of a death trap but went like stink in a straight line. He rolled into going round a corner n wrote it off. Insurance didnt pay n now he's rockin the peddle bike to get to work lol.

I'm paying 1,600 a year on a stock 1.6 civic and thats the best quote i could get off moneysupermarket.

Mine is £1400 with 1 year no claims on a 1.6 Civic as well...that's before mods. For my exhaust alone they wanted another £120! That's with Endsleigh (10% discount for students). Try Adrian Flux as well mate...tell them you are a member of TorqueCars (car club discount 10%).

Im with endsleigh aswell atm
The cheapest quote i could get for my renewal next year was with admiral 1,500.
N thats with 2 years driving, 0 NCB and all the mods i want to make.
Still waitin for adrian flux to email me back with quote.

haha you lot think thats bad

the cheapest i could get my 1.3 civic insurance, no mods was £3500 and that was TPF&T as i've just started driving but i thought no way can i afford that and my mum let me be on her insurance which is still £1600 a yr TPF&T and she's been driving for over 10 yrs and only made 1 claim in her life

i think its because i live on a council estate

how do they expect the people with least money to pay the most for insurance????

wow you lot are well unlucky I live in Reading in a good area, I have 3years NCB on my own insurance, I am 20 and have 2 speeding offenses SP30's and I have a 2004 Honda civic 1.6 3dr vtec sport insured as standard with Tesco for £951, with out speeding offences I was looking at £700. I must be well lucky! Maybe it is the NCB and also I got £40 off for using my Tesco’s club card.

hello to all. im a new member to the forum. ive got a '03 civic type r with mods declared. induction kit
buddy exhaust manifold n ds system de cat
spoon throttle body just fitted
18" alloys
insurance just renewed with full no claims 4 £964
Adrian Flux insurers
gona fit bigger injectors n change inlet manifold so i'll prob have to remap or piggy brain the motor then rollin road 2 set her up prop then the insurance will ave a field day lol.
will stay legal 4 sure!

To be fair, there are a few mods you may be able to get away with without telling the insurance but as said above, 1 wiff of mods and the insurance goes nuts. My mate fitted a roll cage into his MI 16 205 conversion and the insurance over double in price and is now over £2K :eek:

But if you dont mind the insurance and want to get the best £ for BHP ratio, then i would suggest investing in one of these liuttle beauties:-

Click here for Ultimate, cheap civic mod.

That is pretty cheap as well. Even with the current exchange rate! :( Why don't we get bargains like that in the UK?

Ah, thats no probs hehe, just change the ebay search for K series rather than the D series ;) Loads of turbo kits on there :)