Toyota Corolla Modifications..

Payney

Car
Corolla 1.3l XLI HB
Hi, just signed up to this site and after a bit of advice. i currently own a 1995 toyota corolla Hatchback 1.3L XLI, and I'm looking to improve the performance and visual appearance of the car.

I thought id start on the visual first, but dont really have any idea where the best place to start is! i was thinking about starting on the exterior of the car, with things like wheels, headlights, tail lights etc, then working onto the interior, but have been struggling to find anywhere that sells parts for this particular model!

does anyone know anywhere to buy aftermarket parts from, whether it be visual or performance? and have any ideas on best place to begin with upgrading the car?

ANY advice would be a big help :bigsmile:

I had a 97 1.3 GS and had great trouble finding anything for it. Wheels off the Celica may well fit. Sadly the engine has little to offer the tuner and even with a lot of money spend on it will only give another 10-15bhp or so. :(

They are nice comfortable cars to drive though, are reliable and extremely economical.

Welcome to TorqueCars its good to have you with us. I hope you will enjoy the site and forum.

IIRC the pcd on your Corolla is 4x100. So you do have a chioce in some wheels.
A few what will fit is
MR2 W20 after 2000.
Prius after 2000.
Astra 4 stud 98 to 03.
Calibra/Vectra 4 stud 90 to 02.
Corsa after 00.
Corrado 4 stud 89 to 93.
Golf 2 and 3. 84 to 98.
Lupo after 97.
Passat 4 stud 88 to 97.
Polo 95 to 01.
Thats all I can remember for now.

something that does keep cropping up when i ask about upgrades for this car is the possibility of an engine swap. everyone seems to say the same thing about the engine, in that there isnt much room for upgrade, and had i considered an engine swap. just wondered if anyone could give me a bit more info on this? heard a toyota celica is a good donor, but dont know much more than that.

in regards to the wheels, the wheel size currently fitted is 15 inch, would anyone know if its possible to fit a larger wheel size to the corolla? either 16/17inch? think 18inch may be pushing it with the size of the wheel arches

cheers

Stick with 16's and 40 profile tyres and you should be ok mate. The Celica is a good engine but you will need a donor car to get a gearbox, wiring loom ecu and will need some custom engine mounts. It helps if you find someone who has done the celica conversion already so you can see if they hit any major obstacles. There was an older Corolla GTi which had a pretty good engine if I remember correctly.