Torque cars Article on Lowering

Wanda

Authorised Trader
Car
Renault Megane 2 cc
It says that hot hatches shouldn't be lowered below 35mm with the standard shocks. Is it the same for saloons and coupe cabriolets.

You'll find that most hot hatches are already dropped from the standard cars ride height which is why the 35mm rule of thumb applies. There are exceptions from model to model and I'm sure some will tell you that a much larger drop will be fine.

If you are prepared to have a full suspension geometry setup performed then you can go much lower than this, but with the state of the roads and pot holes and speed humps around I'd recommend against this.

If the saloon or cabriolet is on standard springs (rather than the OEM performance ones) and hasn't been lowered any then it would probably cope with a larger drop than 35m.

As you've posted in styling I guess you are more interested in the look of the cars ride height rather than it's handling performance.

Pretty much. It's not a hard and fast rule, some dampers will take more abuse than others and may last forever, some may die at an incredibly accelerated rate.

Thanks for that.

And yes, I am designing my car to affect G-strings rather than G around the corners ; ).

you shouldn't put lowering springs on standard shocks - if they have been on your car awhile, as they may not be up to the job

I just wanted the right balance between good looks when lowering while not completely throwing away comfort.

If your gunna do a job, do it properly. If I were you, I'd invest in some decent lowering springs and new shocks. It will save the headache when they stock ones break. Might as well get it all out the way. Some shocks do offer supurior comfort then offers, just ask around and I am sure some one can help!

Oh dear, well guess my dream of simply buying lowering springs and getting them fit is only half of the story.

I take it when you say new shocks you mean standard ones?

Springs and shocks (dampers) should always be matched and bought as a set, the bigger the drop the more important this is.

Oh dear, well guess my dream of simply buying lowering springs and getting them fit is only half of the story.

I take it when you say new shocks you mean standard ones?

You can get away with just lowering springs if the drop isn't drastic. I.E. Around 30mm. I know on the BMW E36 you can just use uprated springs but obviously this doesn't apply to all cars. A great example being a mate of mine with a Corsa VXR. He put lowering springs on and his shocks are leaking after just 40,000 miles.