timing up cam belt

I'd say you need to be reasonably compentant to change a cam belt. If you get the teeth even slightly out you will have problems. It took 2 of us to do the cambelt on an S6 the Vauxhalls are a little easier than this but there is still plenty of scope for error.

if your not compitent doing this its best left to the pro's but if your in need of saving cash make sure you have a hayne's manual to hand and check and then double check and then re-double check each step to make sure its right, i made that mistake, i let my dad help because he said he had done hundreds of them in his time when in fact he had forgoten how, i didnt think to double check his work on the belt and when we turned it over it was time to get a loan for my second engine to go in :(

i looked into that at the time and it had somehow buggered the big end as well, not sure how but it did, oh well that was like two years ago

just replaced the head on my corsa 1.2 ,8 valve .removed donor head from dismantlers srtipped it down .checked valve guides which where better than the ones i was replacing.lapped valves etc etc.If you are carefull it is not too difficult a job.donor head princely sum of £40.and a new head gasket fitted.

True it's possible to do yourself and not very difficult, but it is time consuming and not overly expensive for a full refurb so I'd rather pay some other mug to do it and get a shiny as new head back ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back