Ticking noise

alison

Car
306 hdi
Hi my 306 HDI is making a ticking noise which I think is the bottom crankshaft thing, which has been ordered. The thing is that sometimes I am getting a grinding noise when turning the steering(worst when car is just started)? Does anyone know if this is related? as I know that the power steering pump is connected to this. Once it`s changed will it be all right or do you think I have another problem? Many Thanks for any help.

Howdo.

Steering noise could be the rack or it could be the CV joint at the wheel, or it could be the gearbox. Can you tell whereabouts it comes from? Is it in the middle of the car sort of underneath you or more out near the wheels?

sounds nearer the wheels had the c.v joints looked at a couple of months ago as gaiters were ripped they were ok It only makes the noise when it is cold the first five mins then you don`t hear it again, although when on full lock it feels like the steering jumps, is trying to move out of full lock. Still drives great no play although it may be a bit heavy sometimes don`t know if thats any help.

Well the noise was the wheel bearing which was replaced 6 months ago not knackered the nut was slack. It still had the old nut as the new one does not go far enough on to get the clip on? It`s never been the same since the bearing went do you think I should change the hub and strut in-case that's the problem as the bearing went before it was changed.

Well the noise was the wheel bearing which was replaced 6 months ago not knackered the nut was slack. It still had the old nut as the new one does not go far enough on to get the clip on? It`s never been the same since the bearing went do you think I should change the hub and strut in-case that's the problem as the bearing went before it was changed.

Well I personally would never take a chance with the bearing, I think you should change both the hub and the strut, why risk a failure later on especially if you are travelling at speed and you get a total failure. Have a competent mechanic give you a report as to the best way forward.