Sweet 944 Porsche

pharoh

Car
Dodge Steath
Hi all,
A friend of mine just got a 2.5L 8V 944 and was considering some mods and upgrades.
Any advice, tips and trick will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adel

Hi Adel
Best tuning tip is first give it a damn good service to make sure all the 160 horses are still in the paddock after 25 or so years;) Easy upgrades are performance filter, remove the front exhaust silencer and a chip upgrade which will probably give an extra 5 - 10hp but more importantly better torque in the mid range making the engine pulling power more flexible. Porsche did a pretty good job with combustion design and so not much else you can do without spending serious money on head, power cam and valve work but then the V8 engine swap option starts becoming more of a viable option :bigsmile: If the cars for track use then obviously lightening the weight and coilover kits are popular options for a more responsive ride. Take a look through some of the older threads for some other info.
Oh and welcome to the forum :D
Andy

No the 2ltr engine was in the earlier 924 models and was a VW/Audi derived unit which Porsche then reworked to get 120hp out of it and later on turbo charge it to get 170 hp, not bad power stats back in 1978 for a 2 ltr four pot. The 2.5 engine is completely different and is effectively half of Porsches 5ltr V8 engine from their 928 model with two balancer shafts to smooth out the four pot running. They did put this engine into the 924 as a runout model while they were finishing the 944 and then decided to keep the 924 on for a couple more years after the 944 was released, the model name being an imaginative 924S. The two models are completely different in running gear aswell as the 944 is wider and beefier hence the wheel arch bulges :D

GR8!!! but we were looking for more aggressive mods line changing the camshaft, cam gears, flywheel ....etc. u know the WORKS!! any suggestions? :mrgreen:

Take a look on this site. LindseyRacing are highly respected 944 tuners in the Porsche community and will ship worldwide. Sell everything from a gasket to full engine blueprinting and rebuild. Lots of info for different levels of tune required and very helpful advice. A lot of UK guys import from them and the big power turbo units use mainly there parts or JMG parts, we're talking 600hp+ units here :bigsmile: You won't see that from a N/A engine like yours but I think I've seen some in the 250hp area but generally the big power hungry guys would get a turbo car because all the other beefier parts are already fitted i.e brakes, suspension, clutch, transmission etc.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944ENGINETRANS.html

Dears,
Does the 944 Gt3 exist? my friend keeps telling me that the one he owns is a Gt3 although i doubt.
Can anyone advise?
Thx.

Dears,
Does the 944 Gt3 exist? my friend keeps telling me that the one he owns is a Gt3 although i doubt.
Can anyone advise?
Thx.

There was never a GT3 badge given to the 944 model line, that's only ever been on the later 996/997 production 911 range when Porsche entered the GT3 racing championship. There was to be a continuation of the 944 S2 n/a model to be named an S3 but Porsche then changed the number completely to the 968 range to boost flagging sales and there was a light weight Club Sport model in this range. If your friend has a home made stripped out and modified 944 for say fast road/track use he may be just calling it a GT3 but its not an official Porsche model.
Hope that answers your question.

what are the diffrences between the normal 944, 944s and the 944s2? i can't find a decent comparison on th web!!