Sway Bar Sizes

DarkFlame

Car
99 Mazda 626 V6
'99 626 LX V6, I'm looking to start my suspension project with new sway bars. I need to know what size are the OEM ones so that I can tell if I'm upgrading or just going sideways. Also, any links to new sway bars that are thicker/heavier than stock will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DarkFlame
(but you can call me David)
San Antonio, TX

A sway bar is just a bar, there is not really any adjustment on most options. The material used and the tube shape will have a bearing on it's torsional rotation. The bushings at the end have more impact and I know a lot of Mazda guys are dropping in Poly bushes now.

A front strut brace will help pull in the suspension tops a little and give a little more camber and rigidity.

My desire for thicker sway bars comes from mods a highschool buddy did to a '72 BMW 2002. He increased the size of his sway bars by several mm, and the body stayed way more upright in hard turns than it did before that. It was the 1st mod he made, before lowering it with shocks & springs and replacing the stock wheels & putting on Pirellis - when he got finished, he could take a hard 90 degree turn at 50 mph without losing grip. It was very impressive. Of course, that was a BMW, and this is a Mazda, but I think the theory applies. Naturally, bushings will be replaced ... & I like your comment about Poly bushings. Also, I know the front strut brace will be another addition I will need to make. All good info, & I appreciate you.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back