supercharger yes or no???

boostnturbos

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ci SE
im thinking of installing a supercharger on my 406hdi, am wondering if its possible and if its advisable to do so. can anyone recomend any superchargers and give me some info on prices thank you.:blink:

that was my nxt question, thanks hdi you reali know what im after, what kind of boost is it fit for, nobody can tell me...
just throwing a question in here, wats the electric superchargers like, no big expectations.

Electric superchargers do nothing at all. Imagine trying to inflate a baloon by holding the open neck in front of a desk fan...futile.

They might actually cause damage - there's a risk that the plastic fan blades will break up and be sucked into the engine. Not good.

I suggest we verify this but I think the blower on your cas is the same Garrett T3 that was on my 2.2. The 2.2 16 valve has an intercooler as standard, as does the 2.0 litre 110bhp 8 valve engine.

Mine was remapped to run at 1.1 bar standard and 1.3 bar on overboost and gave no problems at all. There was some torque limiting in first and second to protect the gearbox at low revs (this was applied by the tuner/remapper).

It showed a healthy 192bhp on a dyno test and a very healthy torque figure in excess of 320lbft.

If you fit an intercooler (it will mount vertically, next to the nearside headlight) you should be able to realise about 150-160bhp after remapping again. All the pipework to and from is in the form of reinforced rubber hoses so you shouldn't need to change anything else plumbing wise.

You will need to do this to increase the boost pressure and fuelling - the intercooler alone will add very little, if anything. Basically the tuner will be able to treat it as if it were the 110bhp 2.0 litre unit.

There are some caveats with any turbcharged car, standard or not, like gentle driving during warm up and be sure to idle the engine for a minute or two before switching off.

With a remapped car you will be generating more heat - not a problem provided you stick to servicing schedules - car makers build in loads of tolerance to deal with negligent owners/operators - all the remapping does is take up the slack and offer you a better, smoother and faster drive. A good tuner will know how far to go and will also check for any pre-existing problems before even attempting to alter the control code in the ECU.

rather than buying and changing the plumbing for a supercharger why not just fit a bigger turbo or get your one hybridised to allow it to run more boost safely

rather than buying and changing the plumbing for a supercharger why not just fit a bigger turbo or get your one hybridised to allow it to run more boost safely

GO back a few posts - the engine is the HDi90 - no intercooler. This is the next step I think. The standard turbo can then be adjusted to deliver more boost.

sorry didnt read it all through.
thought it already had the intercooler on it when you were on about your turbo could possibly have been the same as his. and he was wanting to add a supercharger

thats where i came in.
the turbo was the same so getting it hybridised would allow it to run a higher boost than normally remapped. ie you had 1.3 bar overboost so lets say it would run that normally and 1.5 bar on the overboost without blowing itself to bits

thats where i came in.
the turbo was the same so getting it hybridised would allow it to run a higher boost than normally remapped. ie you had 1.3 bar overboost so lets say it would run that normally and 1.5 bar on the overboost without blowing itself to bits

The standard turbocharger is capable of more boost than it's currently delivering.

The limiting factor at this point is the lack of a charge cooler.

Until this is in place can we cannot consider mods to the turbocharger itself.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back