Stupid Question What does JDM mean?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By Billy Meanche on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I see cars referred to as JDM spec and I assume it means the non UK Japanese spec but what does JDM actually stand for?

The specs are slightly different - most things are the same but sometimes engines are tuned to cope with different market emissions requirements for example. Most mechanical stuff will work but you need to be careful with JDM sensors and electronics on UK spec cars.

The Japanese seem to be the best when it comes to making and tuning cars. So it makes a lot of sense to use Japanese products on a Japanese car.

JDM engines became popular because they run higher compression as they are generally tuned for higher octane fuels as pollution is a major concern in Japan, hence more power.

The JDM scene is massive in the states. It basically involves making your car look as "JDM" as possible, using parts off genuine Japanese models, resulting in fairly bland and stock looking rides. That whole function over form philosophy. (Just a generalisation)

The Euro (EDM) scene is quite big in this sense too, preferring to use OEM parts from other vehicles of the same manufacturer, believing they are superior to any aftermarket parts.