Still on winter tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I wonder how many of us are still running on winter tyres? I've seen a few cars around with winter tyres on them, I know summers not been great but the hotter weather really does accelerate the wear on them so it doesn't make much sense in my mind to leave them on.

Still have mine on, was gonna change them for this week, but since it's still raining I don 't see the point

You are not alone! It's the temperature not the dampness that counts, they are much softer compounds so will wear very quickly at temperatures over 10 degrees.

I have driven on winter tyres on occasions and in poor conditions - snow and ice - the difference is startling. However, I've never had problems on 'summer' tyres in wet conditions and even well below zero on dry roads they've been fine.

I don't buy into the 7 degress Celcius thing as the universal breakpoint. Given the hundreds of different tread patterns and tyre compounds out there it's not possible for them all to uniformally exhibit exactly the same temperature characteristics.

I suspect the '7' syndrome is a convenient number agreed by the tyre industry to encourage drivers to invest in winter tyres.

Still never found a reason to swap tyres for the seasonal driving conditions.

That's because you drive FWD.

Thought about it but agree with T9

You might want to change that thinking come winter with the 330!

I use winter tyres but mine were off a couple of months ago. Much better in the snow and ice and you don't have to keep washing your rims!

Will wait and see. This car is much heavier than the e36's I had. Don't know if that makes a difference. And its an automatic. And dcs.
Just popped a vessel wondering what would happen in the snow. Lmao.

Will wait and see. This car is much heavier than the e36's I had. Don't know if that makes a difference. And its an automatic. And dcs.
Just popped a vessel wondering what would happen in the snow. Lmao.

Does your automatic 'box have a snow mode? If not you'll want some winter tyres.

That's because you drive FWD.

Your right Prince, only had FWD's for the last 14 years and have never had an issue with winter tyre performance. Its a pity that RWD needs such tyres (Additional expense) to keep you safe.

Your right Prince, only had FWD's for the last 14 years and have never had an issue with winter tyre performance. Its a pity that RWD needs such tyres (Additional expense) to keep you safe.

Agree 100% that FWD is superior in bad conditions.

Any comment to pass re. race pads? :D:D:D:D

It's because you have the weight of the engine over your drive wheels. I only have the weight of what ever rubbish I sling in the boot! :lol:

I'll await your opinion on winter tyres after you swap your drivetrain out. ;)

It's because you have the weight of the engine over your drive wheels. I only have the weight of what ever rubbish I sling in the boot! :lol:

I'll await your opinion on winter tyres after you swap your drivetrain out. ;)

Sounds like a plan young man! :)