some help identifying possible problem causes please. A6 2.7 Bi Turbo

pikey motorsports

Track Warrior
Car
69 Mustang Coupe
ok so looking for a new ar and have stumbled upon an Audi A6 2.7 Bi Turbo Quattro for sensible money....

this is the sellers description of whats wrong:

When driven from cold it runs like a dream, as soon as it warms up it feels like its hesitating. If you drive it normally it runs great no missing, ticks over smoothly its only when you toe it and only when it warm. I have had it on a VAG machine and checked out but couldn’t find no faults, i have given up because i have not got the time or funds to get it checked further hence selling to someone in the know who could fix it

Also when you put your foot down and i can hear a clonking noise from the drivers side front, driveshaft possibly?

ok first bit sounds to me like it could be MAF or Lambda related? same kinda symptoms as the VR had when i first got it, and MAF faults dont always show up on VAGcom etc.

second bit im thinking poss driveshaft, maybe shaft counterweights even ( do A6 have counterweights?lol) or CV's balljoints etc, ie nothing major.

Anyone have any other ideas? The price is good enough that i wouldnt mind throwing £600ish at fixing it, but just hoping to narrow things down slightly before making an offer!

cheers guys

I don't know about these car specifically but the first could possibly be MAF or lambda related. That or about 6 or 7 other things. It's just one of those annoying problems that takes time and money to sort if you don't sort it first time, or that you might never solve. By the sounds of it anyway.

Drivers side front when you put your foot down....CV joints don't normally "clunk". More likely to be a ball joint I'd say although it could even be an engine mount. With a vague description like that it could be a dozen things.

Last edited:
i know its bit vague, the guy clearly either doesnt know what he is on about, or does, and doesnt want to let on that he knows its a big problem!

gut feeling says it could be a massive can of worms.... think ill prob end up passing on it, which is a shame, cos its just what im looking for!

I'd steer well clear of this. It's being sold because the owner hasn't spend any money maintaining it and now realises it's on it's last legs.

These are expensive cars to fix.

nothing is ever past saving waynne.... and a big power tuneable family car sounds well worth saving to me! lol

however, i am sticking with my gut on this, not gonna travel to northampton to see a car i dont feel right about.

being offered all sorts so will have a new ride soon enough.... :)

True but it is possible to spend a lot of money on something that at the end of the day is not worth it.;)

I hope you get something soon. (Especially if it is an Audi!)