Smoking Mondeo

fannihall

Car
Mondeo TDCI III Est
I have a 2005 (55 reg) Mondeo TDCi 115 hp (85Kw) estate. It has done 116k miles and was left standing for 2 years before I got it. I have serviced it (New oil/air/fuel filters/proper oil change, including flushing) and fitted a new EGR valve and thermostat. I have put Redex in the tank.
I runs fine now BUT when you accelerate hard, particularly from low revs, a big cloud of grey/black smoke comes out of the exhaust. It doesn't seem to smoke any other time and nothing shows up on the diagnostics.
Does anyone have any ideas please?:(
Edit:
Also..... When starting from cold, there is no reaction to movement of the accelerator pedal. it fires up and ticks over (a bit rough) but pressing the pedal has no reaction but after a couple of seconds it does and the the accelerator works normally. The tickover is a bit rough when cold but improves as it gets warm.

Last edited:
Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

I'd say even with an engine flush and new egr plus using redex in to help clean the engine it still has 116ks worth of carbon to get rid off give it a couple of weeks see how it goes;)

If your car has a particle filter you need to very very very cautious with choice of engine oil. Low SAPS oil is crucial. Do not use redex in cars with particle filters. Millers diesel additive is fine however.

What oil are you using?

If your car has a particle filter you need to very very very cautious with choice of engine oil. Low SAPS oil is crucial. Do not use redex in cars with particle filters. Millers diesel additive is fine however.

What oil are you using?

5w30 semi synthetic. What's the problem with redex? I have used it off and on for years with my Laguna DCI.

Redex and semi synthetic oils are big no go areas in vehicles with particle filters. I wrecked the DPF in a 2001 Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi with the exact same products.

The symptoms were exactly as you describe.

Redex and semi synthetic oils are big no go areas in vehicles with particle filters. I wrecked the DPF in a 2001 Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi with the exact same products.

The symptoms were exactly as you describe.

That's odd because Ford recommend 5w30 semi synthetic or do you mean mixing that with redex is a no-no. Sorry if I am being a bit thick.:confused:

Phew - OK if Ford suggests a semi synthetic then your car does NOT have a DPF. This is good news all round. So use Redex without worry.

However, this smoking is a bit of a worry. EGR valve possibly clogged???

Come on chaps and ladies - let's help our members please !!!!

Phew - OK if Ford suggests a semi synthetic then your car does NOT have a DPF. This is good news all round. So use Redex without worry.

I changed the EGR valve for a brand new Ford replacement about 100 miles ago. I just filled it up today in the hope of thinning out the Redex and I'll try running it for a bit:p

Does anyone know if it is variable vane? Might be stuck open if the car has been laid up for a while?

That sounds as though it makes sense because it only happens at low-ish revs on hard acceleration. If you accelerate hard under load from say, 1800 revs it appears clean (in the mirror!). It wasn't 'laid-up' in the proper mechanical sense, just left in the yard.

Mr Haynes says it has a DPF, or at least has a chapter about removing/replacing it.
Ford actually say they prefer oil with a viscosity of 5w/30 that meets Ford Spec. WSS-M2C913-A, whatever that is but a mechanic friend told me that is semi-synthetic. They also say top ups can meet ACEA A1|B1 or ACEA A3|B3 - that's what it says in the handbook.

I had to change the battery today (just to help matters) because it decided to just not want to crank over when I was restarting after a short stop.

There is the other problem of the accelerator pedal not having any effect for a couple of seconds when firing up from cold but it's OK with normal driving. Any ideas on that one?

I always thought Fords were simple and straightforward.:mad:

No car is that straightforward anymore. BMWs are generally easier and cheaper to service and maintain than Fords in my opinion. If you want to waste money then buy a Rover or a Vauxhall.