Serious Problem on the 406

Reshan

Car
Peugeot 406 HDi
When I am accelerating (idle) to about 2000rpm, the engine just cuts out and turns off.....and it won't start on so easily, I have to struggle a lot with it...
I have changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working fine....there is a strange sound which sounds like (ppssshhhh) near the fuel rail below the injectors....and it keeps doing this for each second...I wish to know if this sound is something natural....

again, when I insert my key and then turn it, there is a time when the milleage digits appears, but mine keeps on blinking there, sorry for bad english....:D

and also for the fan, when temperature is more than 90C, the fan should have been on, but won't start...but when A/C is on, it do works fine....
I have the 2 speed version I think...1st for engine and 2nd speed for A/C....

Had anyone had a problem similar with his pug....
it is not showing any fault on the quadrant as well, but the engine management light is on.........

and what happens if there is too much oil in the car, that is it is in more than the indicated level, does it affects the engine......

Last edited:
Best not to overfill the engine oil. Don't trust the electronic dashboard oil indicator - check it with the stick.

I think you need to get the car on a diagnostic computer and see what the fault is before going any further.

but I don't think that these things do exists in mauritius....
but still can't you just give me a slight idea of what the problem is about....

TO be honest I'm thinking that it is electrical. THe only thing you can do is search for the fault by eye. But you'll still need a computer to turn off the engine malfunction light.

When I am accelerating (idle) to about 2000rpm, the engine just cuts out and turns off.....and it won't start on so easily, I have to struggle a lot with it...
I have changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working fine....there is a strange sound which sounds like (ppssshhhh) near the fuel rail below the injectors....and it keeps doing this for each second...I wish to know if this sound is something natural....

again, when I insert my key and then turn it, there is a time when the milleage digits appears, but mine keeps on blinking there, sorry for bad english....:D

and also for the fan, when temperature is more than 90C, the fan should have been on, but won't start...but when A/C is on, it do works fine....
I have the 2 speed version I think...1st for engine and 2nd speed for A/C....

Had anyone had a problem similar with his pug....
it is not showing any fault on the quadrant as well, but the engine management light is on.........

and what happens if there is too much oil in the car, that is it is in more than the indicated level, does it affects the engine......

Hdi. Do these engine have glow plugs?
Sounds to me like an Ecu fault if i'm honest. Other than that it could be a dodgy earth.

The glow plugs won't have much of a job in Mauritius as they're only used if it's below minus twelve degrees at startup time.

I was thinking earth fault s as well as the injectors are fired electrically. But it'll still need a diag computer to reset the fault light even after the fault is cleared.

The ECUs on these cars control so much stuff - there's hundreds of engine control parameters but they also deal with things such as PAS attenuation, indicators, lights, mirrors, climate ctrl and more. Basically the whole lot is multiplexed so I think if there was a ECU fault you'd have the equivalent of an unbootable car. The ECUs are not known to be problematical.

Other things to consider are high pressure fuel pump, fuel pressure sender, boost pressure sender, any number of actuators for controlling this and the turbo geometry and wastegate bypass.

It really is going to be easier if you can get a diagnostic test done. But I'll keep my mind in gear.

ok hdi....thanks for the info man...
how to check if the ECU is in good working condition,
is the diag computer needed,
because it seems that these a problem with the fueling also...
maybe..I don't know...

because i can't accelerate beyond 2000rpm.....

Whatever happens you will need a diagnostic unit to turn off the fault light and get the engine running properly again.

Get it onto a diagnostic unit and reset the light first. If the fault clears and stays cleared then everything is fine.

If not then read the fault code and this will tell you what the problem is. Once you've fixed the problem you will need to diagnostic unit to reset the fault light.

Sadly this is the only way you're going to clear the fault. Even if you find it mechanically and fix the problem the car will remain in limp home mode until the fault is cleared from the ECU.