Rules of NOS

Broken Cambelt

Torque Junkie
Car
Fiesta 1.4
This question has probably been asked before, but im still so confused, Nitrous has been appearing in more and more cars around me, and i just saw what it can do to an old golfs acceleration (fifth gear, on dave), i also had a ride in a friends nitrous'ed merc and was absolutely blown away by the power on tap.

Now im not going to waste nitrous on my feeble car but i would seriously consider it on my civic renovation project :twisted:, i know nos kits can be proffesionally done for under £500 but what are the rules surrounding it.
Can it be done to any fuel type, or just petrol?, what if you've got turbos or superchargers? Is it even road legal ?

If anyone knows the rules, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,BC.

Completely legal to have installed and to use on the road.

It's also fine with turbos and superchargers, usually providing a greater power increase.

Nitrous Oxide injection on a diesel engine it a different kettle of fish. It can be done but it's not hte same as injecting nitrous on a petrol engine.

i was looking at nos for mine not so much for running it on the motor more for the mist out of the vents
but if you are going to get it do it right wet kit drill and tap holes in the intake so it goes to each bore and new pistons pins and rods better head

well thats what i would do as if you are going to use it have to use it when racing and for more then a few sec's

for me unless i get into racing i wont get it i would rather spend the money on a blower

Nitrous is legal for road use but only a couple of insurance companies will insure its use.
I consider WON (Wizard of Nos) to be superior to the others around using Pulsoids & not Solnoids to control Nitrous/Fuel.
Over 50bhp & a Controller is required to control time/rate of supply.
More advanced systems (200bhp) would need direct port injection, one for each cylinder. A Heater would help to keep pressure up as bhp is directly proportional to pressure & it will drop when used.
At this time i have the only steet car in the UK on Nitrogen 'push' which pushes the Nitrous to maintain pressure at a constant 1000psi.
using direct port it will supply well in excess of 200bhp constantly. Well until the bottle runs out :blink1:.

I thought Nitrous meant you were using a "Simultaneous Dual Fuel" system and this technically made it illegal for road use as per the RTA or has this changed recently?

The principle of nitrous is that is release oxygen so is beneficial to any combustion engine be it petrol or diesel.

That sounds like a mental Nitrous setup Rod!:D I bet your cossie is pushing 200mph on the track ;)

Brave or just power mad eh? Youve got to admire his style.

BrokenCambelt, make sure your insurance cover you for road use. If they don't then you are not legal.

I thought Nitrous meant you were using a "Simultaneous Dual Fuel" system and this technically made it illegal for road use as per the RTA or has this changed recently?

The principle of nitrous is that is release oxygen so is beneficial to any combustion engine be it petrol or diesel.

That sounds like a mental Nitrous setup Rod!:D I bet your cossie is pushing 200mph on the track ;)

My system is road legal & fully insured for road use. The Nitrous is supplied via a bottle & injected via a Pulsoid a second Pulsoid mixes a jetted ammount of Fuel to compensate.
My car is never on a track its my road car. Its Topspeed is well known.

Brave or just power mad eh? Youve got to admire his style.

Im not a boy racer ;).

Never enough Power if you are competing. Dont need to use Nitrous on the road, but need to carry it so its insured.

Adrian flux have no problem insuring my cars with n2o, doesn't even put the premium up on the Fiat, although it did go up by £24 for the Volvo.

Adrian flux have no problem insuring my cars with n2o, doesn't even put the premium up on the Fiat, although it did go up by £24 for the Volvo.

They were the only company to insure mine with all mods quoted + Nitrous.

I heard Adrian Flux have been known to just increase your premium by £1 per 1hp when nitrous is involved.

Anyways, I was gonna create a thread regarding nitrous oxide but found this so figured i'll threadjack a little.

I was doing some reading and long story short, I read that the exhaust design is important when spraying, as things like resonators and glasspacks will not last more than a year.

That was a very rough paraphrase, but seeing as my exhaust is gonna be made in the next couple of months, I was kinda hoping to 'nosproof' it if you will.

I don't imagine my new exhaust will have glasspacks, being quite old fashioned now, but is there anything I need to look out for, damage prevention wise?

Last edited:

Nitrous isn't a fuel (try running an engine on it alone). However, the ECC rules class it as one, shows you how much they know!

But as it is possible to insure its use on UK highways, it is an interesting legal point.

Due to the way they work you can't add nitrous to an oil burner in the same way as you can with god's fuel. It can be done, but is far more complicated.

Heres what my Nitrous company say about its legality.

In general the legality of nitrous use on the road varies from country to country, even within the EU. Furthermore there is no relevant law in the Highway Code or the MOT handbook prohibiting the use of nitrous injection. It should be remembered that just as with any tuning modification, the owner must inform their insurance company and obtain adequate cover, otherwise any performance modification would be illegal. Therefore the only way you will break the law by having your street car fitted with a nitrous kit in the UK, is if you fail to inform your insurance company that you have done so. Insuring a nitrous injected vehicle has become even easier than it was with Adrian Flux, because other insurers (like Greenlight Insurance) have also started offering cover for nitrous equipped cars.
There is a degree of confusion over the need to have a hazard warning sticker on the outside of the car. We previously explained that nitrous oxide is neither a flammable nor a hazardous gas but it is a relatively highly pressured oxidiser. Whilst there is a legal requirement for commercial vehicles to display a suitable sticker, this same rule does not apply to private vehicles, which are not even obliged to display a green compressed gas sticker. However, displaying such a warning sticker might well be advantageous to you and the emergency services, if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in any kind of accident, as this would inform them that you were carrying a container of compressed oxidiser in your car.
In the UK nitrous oxide use is legal on road cars (contrary to what many people believe, including some police officers) .

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back