rover 620 ti cat convertor

malone

I have a 1996 rover 620 ti, could anyone give advice on doing away with the catalytic convertor, I believe it will increase the BHP

You will not pass the MOT without a cat. I recommend a high flow sport cat - this will add 4-5bhp to your car.

If you really want to get rid of the cat I think the simple addition of a decat pipe and removal of the cat will work fine, as the Lamda sensor is before the cat the engine will run normally - check for sensors further down the exhaust after the CAT or on the cat - look for a wire or electrical contact - but I think you have the same exhaust set up as the 220's.

thanks wayne;
I have seen the bypass pipe advertised, would not fitting and induction kit allow increased airflow, thus giving the appropriate CO readings for MOT?

The cat soaks up nasty particles by converting them to more friendly particles. Without this the car will push out too much pollution as recorded at the MOT and will result in a fail. 1991 Cars are the exeption as the cat rule came in in 1992. Some of the 91 cars were fitted with a cat but it can be removed and as it wasn't a requirement for the year you will still pass the MOT.

An induction kit gives a great Roar :twisted: on the T series engines but the power gains are higher up the rev range. Don't forget more air is balanced with more fuel otherewise the engine would run too lean so overall the emissions will go up slightly as there is more burning of fuel going on :shock: . Its a bit guitty really isn't it!