Rover 2.0 DOHC non turbo / turbo

dizz

Tuner
Car
hyundai coupe turbo
hi, can any one tell me if the internals on a 2.0 dohc non turbo are the same as the turbo version?? would i be able to bolt a turbo off the turbo version to the non turbo without blowing it to bits????

Thanks

The engine appear similar but internally there are many differences. For a start the Pistons, and block in the turbo are more heavy duty construction and the CR is lower. The gearing is also different as the standard box will not survive a turbos power.

Your best best is an engine transplant with gearbox - probably pick one up for a few hundred quid from a breakers yard (you'll also need the MEMS from the donor car.)

Get an uprated Quaife Diff and Turbo box and you will have a superb car. I had a 220GTi which I tuned to perfection but it still blew 2 engines and 2 gearboxes so it wasn't the most reliable car i'd had. It was a fantastic drive though and handled really well - I loved the lift off oversteer.

thanks for that very helpful, thing is tho ive got the 2.0 non turbo engine out of a car with no gearbox that i got to start from bottom up on tuning it, would you say i would need a new block and pistons?, or would it be worth just tuning it without a turbo?. any tips ?

also are the cams the same in the 2.0 turbo and non turbo as i cant find profiled cams for the non turbo

kool thanks, wats the port matching? is this engine the same as the t16?
would it be worth lightening the flywheel ? i no it reduces up hill momentum but will it be more power? or just make the torque high and have lots of wheel spinning? this evetualy is going in a bubble shape 200 so im trying to make it right for the car, but i dont realy have a clue about doing this lol. any ideas?

You should only get bad wheelspin if the power goes over 220 bhp. Flywheel lightening will make the engine rev better. The T series is the 2.0 engine the Tomcat is the Turbo version. T16 just refers to the number of valves - 16 of them with a Double Overhead Cam to control those valves. Suspension will need uprating as the T series lump is much heavier than anything fitted to the 200 bubble model.

The 200 bubble chassis is the same as the 220 they just remade the body panels so the engine swap should be a doddle. The engine will appreciate a lighter flywheel, mine had a standard flywheel and it didn't quite rev as freely as I wanted it to.

The most power you can expect from a NASP (naturally aspirated or non turbo) engine is about 170 bhp. A sports cat and scorpion exhaust mated to a K&N induction kit will enhance the other mods.

There is an article on Port Matching in the tuning pages of this site which should answer most of your questions.