Remote mount turbo charging

Strdcloud

Car
Bmw e36 m3
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Currently driving a bmw e36 m3, and would like to build a remote mount turbo charger system for my car.

Could someone offer some advice on deciding the AR ratio for my car, as well as how I could deal with the boost problem?

Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome :)

Your 6 cylinder motor is leaning to the exhaust side and that restricts the mounting for a turbo so you will almost certainly need a custom manifold fabricated so it will be difficult to have equal length exhaust runners so that will rule out a twin scroll turbo.

The boost control should be an external wastegate plumbed back into a 3 or 3.5 inch dump pipe that can be reduced back to 3 inch if space is limited.

As the motor is a 3.0 or 3.2 litre I would think that something like a GTX 3076 R would be in order with an AR82 turbine would be close to what's needed.

I am not familiar with the internals BUT when adding boost the cylinder pressures are greatly increased and would be rebuilding it with forged internals for longevity especially as it will be tempting to increase boost to add power when the car seems slow after you get used to the power it has.

Found this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...wKHYOaAZkQ9QEwA3oECAQQCg#imgrc=_3AJJgufBg_6xM:

It will also need higher flowing injectors and fuel pump.

Please keep us informed of your progress with pics .|B

Hello TCJBoldie, thank you for your reply.

It's true the engine bay is very crammed, thus is why I intend to mount the turbo at where the cat converter is.
And as the cat converter is on the left side of the car, it is also easier to gain access to the intakes..

As you can see I am mounting it underneath the car, I was worried that if the AR would be too big, and the car wouldn't be able to boost...

Was wondering if there's a way to calculate the boost with relation to air temperature instead, as hot air flow would definitely be much less.

If you mount it under the car you will need a pump to get the oil back into the oil pan so you may need to rethink the mounting position and put it higher so the oil can be gravity drained down back into the OP.

You mean like a super charger? Yes. But I am very much interested in building a remote mount turbo charger system as the engine bay is very squeezy and I would like to conserve the space for other upgrades.

Besides I also like the colder air that comes with remote mount, and not so high boost..

Was wondering if I should pick a smaller sized turbo to compensate for the distance from manifold..

Colder air comes from an efficient intercooler and not from how far away from the head the turbo is mounted.

You seem rightly or wrongly to be trying to solve a problem in the most difficult way possible with little if any benefit at all..V(