Quick & easy question

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
It's a soft question but I honestly don't know :embarrest::lol:
When at the 1/4 mile start line, what is it that the crew treat the tarmac with before each run?

The drag staging areas I believe are coated with a sticky substance which helps protect the track surface and also gives more adhesion to the tyres. Different tracks may do different things but most pro tracks use the sticky stuff.

The burn out is intended to warm up the tyres and soften them (If you are in the UK replace all instances of tyre in this post with tire;)!)

not sure about the pro tracks, only ever been to amatuer tracks. never noticed anything on the road except the normal tar to seal it. we normally spray water to assist with the burn out before we line up but never seen them spray anything else.

All proper drag strips are treated with a traction compound, such as

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/VHT/Tires/Traction_Compounds/TrackBite/5154

to aid traction and reduce ETs.

There are also products that soften the tyres, further increasing grip. A properly controlled burn out will also aid grip by heating and softening the tyres. However, remember not to drive through the water, rather go round and reverse into it - otherwise you get you front tyres wet and they then deposit water on the track in front of your hot sticky tyres! Talking RWD here, of course. 4WD/AWD is cheating and FWD needn't bother :)

Trackbite is the name of the fluid. It provides great grip when launching. Its aplid by briefly spinningthe tires on the fluid. This fluid is 100% legal at race tracks nd works best when warm nd on soft compound tires and is commercialy available