pug 406 sri NO BOOST

pugchippy

help my 406 sri has some boost problems, I have a superchip, bailey dumpvalve, filter and exhaust. For some unknown reason the boost fluctuates between 8 and 12.5 psi, the latter of which the cars set to run at, i feel it most when flat out in 3, 4 and 5, all the power seems to dissapear for 2 or 3 seconds and comes back, for maybe 5 seconds and continues to fluctuate, any ideas???

Is it at certain Revs or just at WOT (Wide open Throttle)? Is it better on hot days? What fuel are you using? Is the air filter clean?

Always on WOT, its running a Green stainless cone filter which has been cleaned recently, unfortunately is a universal filter and I fear it may be a little too large. The car runs best at dawn and dusk!! but no a temperature increase doesn't affect the problem. I try and run optimax whenever possible but genarally its on 96ron, Im looking into tablets that sit in the fuel tank, you can fill up on any grade petrol and these tablets will increase the fuel to 97 ron, and have a life expectancy greater than most cars.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the air filter - I added an air filter to an Audi 1.8T and had loads of flat spots at WOT all through the rev range.

I'd stick a standard airbox on from a scrappy if you don't still own the original and see if the pproblem clears up. I have a feeling that there is something more going on though.

Dusk & Dawn tends to be colder and damper but not enough of a lead to go on i'm afraid.

Check Plugs & Leads. Bad spark = bad combustion = tell turbo to push less air to make a richer charge. I thin kthe boost drop is a sympton and not the problem itself.

Any vacuum hose leaks. Listen carefully to the engine under the bonnet while somone blips the throttle - you're listening for a rushing air noise.

I really don't think a miracle table exists that increases the octane of the fuel and outlasts the car. I do know the little fuel magnets you attach to the fuel line made no measurable difference whatsoever!

quickly going back to the "magic tablets"! the product is called System 4 fuel catalyst. Three people i know use them, 1- BMW 540i 3.5l V6 manual, 2- Mk2 golf Gti and a scooby Wrx sti, all three of them rate these tablets v highly, I had a look for them through google and could find nothing but good write ups.

I forgot to mention Ive fitted a new intercooler recently and chasing the boost problem a new wastegate control valve. I bought the car with the filter on so the original no longer exists so a trawl around the scrappy's is on the cards. I keep it regularly serviced and run NGK's best plugs.

Thanks for the advice and by the way what do u pilot now??

Good luck! I'm still not convinced about the tablets but hey I skeptical about everything.

I Drive: Heavily modified K reg Rover 220GTi and a bog standard W reg Audi 1.8T sport. The Rover is for sale and I'm looking for a Yaris - they are fairly light and the 1.5 has the possibility of adding a turbo so it should be FAST realiable and very economical! The best of all worlds!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back