Pug 307 HDi

teff

Car
Pug 307 2.0 HDi
Hi everyone, I am soon pickingup a "55" plate 307 Quicksilver 2.0HDi. It will be my first diesel as I am only a recent convert and I need some advice. The 136hp just isn't enough and I really want to upgrade it by at least 20. I read the info about chipping and ecu remapping but don't really know what's what. Ive done induction kits and backboxes etc. on previous cars but I want something more substantial. If anyone could offer me any advice on what they have done and would reccomend I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Remapping your ECU will always be the biggest jump in bhp for just one upgrade. However, if you only want 20 more bhp then simply add an induction kit and a whole new exhaust system and you'll get 20-40 more bhp easily.

You could also try fitting a racing manifold but they are rather expensive. A little trick with most Peugeot hdi engines is to remove the cat, it will give you about 5 more bhp and it'll still pass the MoT.

- Not sure if this is the case with the 307 HDi but it is with the 206/306.

chipping and remapping is basically the same thing

chipping : invoves the removal of the ECU and soldering a chip inplace of the manufactures

remapping : is done through the diagnostic port in the car ( all cars from 2001 should have them ) as HDi fun about it his 2.2 Hdi is now 192bhp and oer 300ftlb of torque

try celtic tuning as they should give 10% discount on mentioning torquecars

pixel if your getting 20-40 bhp from a induction kit and exhaust. tell me where your getting them from ? best youll see is around 15bhp for the pair.

decent induction kit is around £150 exhaust £300

a remap will cost anywhere between 300-500 depending on if its custom or standard

just had a look on celtic tuning
standard 136 bhp and 240 ftlb
remapped 178 bhp and 317ftlb

as its a diesel you may find that your fuel economy actually improves. this is due to the high increase in torque you should find that you require less throttle for normal driving

I did think about going down down that route, but forced air intakes aren't as effective on diesels by all accounts and from prior experience a good exhaust system and induction kit costs about the same as getting it chipped with less trouble.

I also looked into getting a dump valve at some time when i've got a bit more money but don't seem to be able to find many places that do them. I tried eccosse and bailey etc. but they seem prety hard to get hold of.

Cheers for that, I looked on the website and it seems a lot more proffessional than some of the others I've looked at. Im gonna give them a bell tommorrow and see how much they'll do it for. Is it worth getting a dealer to fit it or is it relatively easily done? Also wats the insurance hike if u get one fitted?

you take the car to your local depot and they do it through the diagnostic port.
think they quoted me £375 for the bora, still havent got it done though thinking of getting revo to do mine for the switchable map.

you struggle to find a dump valve for a diesel. most have a mechanical one which doesnt do anything other than the whoosh noise. the reason being the diesels dont have a throttle body, so the charged air from the turbo doesnt built up and cause damage the turbo itself by, i believe stalling it 200k rpm to nothing. hopefully somebody will be able to back me up on this that its sometimes called compressor surge
insurance wise it depends on the usual age etc you could be looking at £200 or £900

allways tell insurance companies as even the invisable maps can show up to somebody who knows what they are looking for

Last edited:
This is the thing, Its a bit of a catch 22 really. I looked at the stats on the site and it showed an 18hp gain. If thats all Im gonna get for say £600 all in it seems a little bit dear. What do you reckon the return would be in time to 62?

which one were you looking at superchips showed 22bhp increase and celtic tuning showed nearly 40bhp.

couldnt be sure about the 0-60 time ive had a look at other golfs and boras with the revo remap and there dropping from 8 sec to 6.5 ish.

the money got offered a a set of TT alloys for £150 but no tyres another £412 tyres. took them to get better traction as it kept braking traction even with the ESP on

Forget 0-62 as the benchmark. It's hard enough to do this in a standard car and get good numbers. Just take it that it will be quicker with a remap.

Your 307 is the 2.0HDi 136 I think, which should happily go to well over 170 with a sympathetic remap. The torque increase is the reason for this, and it's noticeable all across the rev range. Emphatically so. Pipes and filters will never give you this amount of performance increase in one hit. Moreover, if you do do the pipes and filters thing a remap is even more important to get the most from the mods.

I'll retrace my words. 0-62. I had a play with this on a measured stretch of road (to verify instrument accuracy) and have managed to get my 406 to do it in just over 7 seconds. Which is quick enough. But it's a tyre and clutch shredding exercise. Much more useful is 50-70mph around 4 seconds in fourth gear only.

A remap is the way to go, without question.

I would go for a re-map and a full exhaust system that removes the particulate filter and go for a k&n (or other make) replacement panel filter

I tend to find that induction kits are a waste of time unless you buy something like the Pipercross viper or the BMC CDA..but there expensive...
and don't bother with jsut a back box there a waste of time...all noise and no power

you'll get more top end if you get the exhaust and filter as well and will work well with the re-map

wouldn't suggest doing those without it...lol

you need more incoming air because the turbo will be ramming more in the engine and you'll need a more free flowing exhaust because you'll be creating more exhaust gas..simple..and gains are more noticeable from parts like these when you re-map as well...

Last edited:
A good exhaust setup will help no end with cooling. Mine is std because I like it that way but I suspect that a few quids worth of pipework would help top end a bit. Would probably keep gas temps down as well, which would help across the rev range.

Don't underestimate exhaust wrap either - this makes a big difference and will hekp the cat to warm up quicker.

What you have to realise as well is that on turbocharged car you can put as big an eahsut on you want because the turbo is creating the back pressure for the engine...so in this case i would say the bigger the better...

Hey guys i spoke to Celtic Tuning about getting my 307 remapped and mentioned about discount for for Torgue Car members and they said they dont give or have never given discount to Torgue Car members, i dunno if they just fobbing me off, but i'm still getting the remap anyway, a discount would of just been a bonus!!

Looking forward to seeing the results!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Copy of email is below

From: Celtic Tuning [mailto:Enquiries@celtictuning.co.uk]
Sent: 23 October 2007 18:32
To: Paul Garner
Subject: Re: Celtic Tuning Website Enquiry

Paul

The price for all 1.8T's is £375 all inclusive. To members of your forum we will offer 10% discount if quoting torquecars in initial correspondence. If you can get 3 or more cars in one sitting then we offer 20% on all vehicles.

We have testimonials for the 1.8T 150bhp in the Golf and Bora but despite having done a substantial number of them we don't have testimonials for the 180bhp variants... its down to the customer to contact us with reviews, we don't request them. You can expect it to go as per the 180bhp TT as the hardware is identical and software very similar.

The stock clutch is good for over 270bhp to which we have done hybrid conversions etc and have never had issue with the 1.8t clutch on all variants.

Best Regards

Graham
Celtic Tuning Team
http://www.celtictuning.co.uk
enquiries@celtictuning.co.uk
Tel: 01637 850573
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Celtic Tuning'
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:24 PM
Subject: RE: Celtic Tuning Website Enquiry

Hi got an email off yous the other day and got figures and quotes for an vag 1.8t engine posted this information on a forum called torquecars
www.torquecars.com I was asked to get back in touch with you to see if you would do discount for their members, which currently sits at just over 3000
I know the administrator was tempted by the gain from 180 to 225 for himself as well

Also wondering if you had any other testimonials from other drivers of the golf and bora variations of the 180 1.8t engine all I could find on the website was the Audi tt 180

Only real issue I have with this amount of gain is would the standard clutch hold out with the power, which would not be used all the time. I have been informed the standard clutch can take some punishment to around 250bhp

Many thanks in advance

Paul Garner

I will take a copy of that email and send it too them, and if they give the discount i will let u guys know, if not i would suggest removing it from here, coz i felt a bit stupid when they said they dont give it for torquecars.co.uk members!!

Thanks for posting the email!!

It's technically TorqueCars.com - just out of interest who still uses the .co.uk domain name?

Right guys, just had reply from celtic tuning,

Tim

That was a promotional thing we was doing back in 2007 with forums. We now only provide discount to the forums we advertise on as part stipulation by other forum organisers.

Best Regards

Graham
Celtic Tuning Team
http://www.celtictuning.co.uk
enquiries@celtictuning.co.uk
Tel: 01637 850573

So unfortunately they won't give discount to us guys, but never mind, i'm sure it'll be worth it when i get it done, i'll report on my new found driving experience after thursday next week!!

Cheers guys

Hey guys, got my 307 remapped, and i absolutely love it!! It feels so much more responsive now, and alot quicker!! Thanks to them guys at celtic tuning!!

I'm looking to get a strut brace for it now, does anyone know where i can find one for the 2006 facelift model??

:D

Glad you like it. What is the fuel economy like (when your right foot stops being so heavy?)

Have a look in our POTN shop (link at the top) - they usually have things like that and it helps support the site.;)

Ha ha, i'll let ya know when my right foot stops acting like a lead ballon, but i've not noticed much different, and i have been driving it a bit harder than normal. I'm sure i'll calm down soon though and start to notice the fuel savings hopefully!! I only use the car at weekends really as i've got a company car. Apparently dealerships cant tell that its been remapped, so i'm thinking "should i get my VW Touran done too??"

if the dealer looks for it they could find it. it just takes an experianced technician to find it. easiest way is to look on the diagnsitc for the airflow and boost, both will read higher than stock.

yeah the flash counter counts up everytime the ECU is modified. also includes the servicing section

No dealers going to go hunting for evidence of a remap even in the event of a warranty claim. What's the benefit to them by grassing you up to the manufacturer?

They don't wanna void your warranty because if they do they don't get the nice repair work that the manfacturer pays handsomely for. Dealers don't make much margin on new cars at POS. And if it devalues your car when you come to PX it, you won't be going back there, will you?

It's really not in their interests to do so.

Re remapping - a lot of the feel good/drive good that comes from a custom map is the way that they flatten the peaks and fill in the troughs of the torque / power curves. Only when this is done can the overall torque be lifted by modestly increased boost and fuelling across the rev range. This is why a custom remap drives totally differently to a plug in box. Plug ins can release the same full throttle red line power but it's a crude and insensitive way to do it. I don't like 'em.

With a thoughtfully considered remap the overall increase in boost and fuel is not really that big, it's the linearity that makes it feel sweet and effortless. But it's not an illusion, tape measures and stopwatches don't lie!!

Last edited:
You use tape measures to assess a cars performance - you'll tell me that they judge drifting competitions with a "slide rule" next! ;)

(Sorry for any distress this awful joke may have caused anyone! :lol:)

The tape measure reference was with regard to acceleration. A couple of seconds difference between 50 and 70 doesn't sound all that much but it can count for hundreds of yards more space in which to complete the operation.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back