power boost valves

corsabalex

Wrench Pro
Car
corsab need newcar!
is it worht putting one of these in my corsa. parently they can dramatically imporve performance??? thanks.
and also is it woth doing anything to corsa b 1.2 16v? :(

Don't waste time and money on the valves. All they do is bleed in some excess air, and make a lot of noise).

It's true that in the carburettor days you might have achieved slightly better economy under light load but with today's closed loop emission controls you'll just give the ECU the task of correcting the fuel/air ratio.

So, at best, you'll just get more noise.

At worst you'll burn piston crowns and exhaust valves, increase fuel usage, corrupt the lambda sensor and burn out or poison the catalytic converter.

I'd imagine that those little 1.2 engines would benefit from a proper induction kit, not greatly but at least all the air is going through the MAF sensor (unlike the PB valve arrangement) so the fuelling can be accurately calculated.

Some people use drop in sports air filter panel elements, usually of the cotton gauze type, to which a tacky oil is applied. I'm not sure that there's a lot of benefit with these over a conventional paper one but some people do seem to get good results.

You could also go for a full sports exhaust and low back-pressure cat. This could well add 5-6bhp, and an ECU mod (Superchips will cover the Corsa engine) perhaps another 5 or so.

This is not a massive increase in relation to the money it will all cost, and all the extra power will be at the higher end of the rev range with little increase in midrange torque.

PGarner will no doubt have something to add - he's our resident tuning consultant and often has some novel and workable ideas which would never occur to me.

thanks

i think HDis on about the ecotec power boost valves
these
Eco-Tec-valve-and-Breather.jpg

if so dont bother, as hdi said theyre a waste of time.

if the power boost valve as in a fuel pressure reg then no they dont add performance however they can increase throttle response by allowing fuel through under a greater pressure. wont add any power however

Sorry guys - I was indeed referring to the Ecotek nonsense. Increaseing fuel rail pressure is common amongst remappers.

What they did in my case was to increase the rail pressure sooner (ie lower) in the rev range but still never exceed the normal maximum, which is 1300bar.

Apparently this means that the injector dwell time can ne made shorter thereby burning the fuel more completely in the combustion cycle.

Seems to make sense, so if these things can help the maybe they shouldn't be dismissed.

is it worht putting one of these in my corsa. parently they can dramatically imporve performance??? thanks.
and also is it woth doing anything to corsa b 1.2 16v? :(

It's going to be difficult to get any reasonable gain out of any 1.2L engine in any 1000kg car.
The biggest problem is lack of low-down grunt (torque).
You'd end up spending too much money for very little effective gain in performance.
If circumstances allow probably the most practical mechanical thing to do is fit a bigger engine from the same model range.

It's going to be difficult to get any reasonable gain out of any 1.2L engine in any 1000kg car.
The biggest problem is lack of low-down grunt (torque).
You'd end up spending too much money for very little effective gain in performance.
If circumstances allow probably the most practical mechanical thing to do is fit a bigger engine from the same model range.

I'm with you on this one sid. Either save and get a better engine or save up and get a better base car to start with.