Porsche 944 engine whine

Linda

Car
Porsche 944
Hi,

My porsche 944 is a 1988 model. When I bought it the engine made a really nice whine like a jet engine but when that engine blew up and I had a replacement engine fitted the jet engine whine had disappeared. The chap I bought it off about 8 years ago said that it had some clever thing done to the engine (you can see I am not technical) as the then owners showed the car. I have asked the mechanic that looks after my car but he doesn't know what I am talking about. Does anyone have any ideas, please.

Unable to help you with this one Linda as Porsches are merely dream cars for me! :bigsmile:

There is a chap here on the forum called: Aerial Andy944 who actually owns one of these cars, and who has done an awful lot to his own 944.
Hopefully he will see your post and then no doubt will be able to give you some invaluable help and advice!

Good luck :bigsmile:

Hi,

My porsche 944 is a 1988 model. When I bought it the engine made a really nice whine like a jet engine but when that engine blew up and I had a replacement engine fitted the jet engine whine had disappeared. The chap I bought it off about 8 years ago said that it had some clever thing done to the engine (you can see I am not technical) as the then owners showed the car. I have asked the mechanic that looks after my car but he doesn't know what I am talking about. Does anyone have any ideas, please.

Hi Linda sorry bit late, been off the scene for a bit and I didn't see your post. 2 main problems are the gearbox whines including the torque tube which is running down the middle of the car. Also if it sounds like a washing machine on full spin the front balance belts can be put on in the wrong way. There are some non genuine service manuals floating around (mainly off Ebay ;)) which gives the wrong instructions apparantly :blink: All the front engine belts should be done every 4 years no matter what mileage you've done and this includes the water pump so if they've not been done recently check them out soon as its only borrowed time before a major engine failure.