Polished and waxed the Golf today :)

SonofKrypton

Wrench Pro
Car
VW Golf Mk5 1.9TDi
After getting lazy with my old car and using the local Polish hand car wash (free swirls with every wash!) I decided to treat my newly acquired 8 year old Golf to some TLC.

From Meguiars, I had a lambswool wash mitt. The rest of the gear was Autoglym: Bodywork shampoo conditioner; Clean wheels spray; Instant tyre dressing spray; Hi-tech microfibre drying towel; Super resin polish (with pads and cloth); HD Wax (with pads and cloth).

I washed using our new Karcher pressure washer, beginning with low pressure rinse before going full tilt and of course the 2 bucket method. Well pleased with the results. The deeper scratches that do exist will need a pro with a machine polisher and some paint me thinks! The super resin polish and HD wax has certainly improved matters though and the photos don't do it justice. Really good for an 8 year old car.

It is going to rain this week but the wax finish will hold nicely if I just continue to wash with the Autoglym shampoo and that lambswool wash mitt rather than letting the local Polish car wash put the swirls back!

Before:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142163784@N02/shares/M672Hn

After:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142163784@N02/shares/9564KT

**As I am in a good mood I am going to allow this post with photos through even though you have made less than the required 10 posts as a new member as per our T's & C's**

T9 man
Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one, it's come up really nicely!

Glad to see someone lavishing some attention on their car.

Cheers and thanks for allowing the pictures mods. This post takes me over 10 now :)

It does indeed buddy |B

I am looking forward to the photos :) If you have a look on Flickr
there should be a link that you can use that will show the photo straight on to your post instead of the weblink. I think it may be (img) not sure as I use Photobucket and not Flickr.

Just tried posting a link using img and it failed. I usually use photobucket but lately it is so slow and bombards you with bloody adverts lol

Looking good. A good going over with a claybar does wonders for the finish. Takes me 3 days to do my Golf if I ever wanted to go the whole way detailing which is why it only gets a quick rinse over these days:lol:
Didnt know Post Image was still going. Just had a look and my old pics were still there!

Right, opinions on this guys please. The bloke I know has been out with his machine polisher and some paint and done all the scratches and even stone chips for me and it looks great

I now have 2 choices when washing it tomorrow. I can either use some of the Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine Polish which is for darker colour cars and is all in one so it does not need waxing afterwards or I can just wax it with the Autoglym HD wax that I have also got.

I was thinking the latter would be better as he has just polished with the machine. Any thoughts?

From Autoglym website:

Can High Definition Wax be applied after using Ultra Deep Shine?

We do not recommend the use of High Definition Wax and Ultra Deep Shine together.

Last edited:
Wax is the last step. Polish has a cutting agent that takes a layer of paint off then wax is the sealant. Not heard of wax not being able to be put on top of polish before. Is there some wax additive in ultra shine then?

Autoglym Srp then zaino z8 is the thing apparantly.

Used SRP followed by HD wax a couple of weeks ago but now this guy has been out and defeated the deeper scratches I couldn't remove so I will do the car again.

Wax is the last step. Polish has a cutting agent that takes a layer of paint off then wax is the sealant. Not heard of wax not being able to be put on top of polish before. Is there some wax additive in ultra shine then?

Yes it is all in one and Autoglym say not to use it with wax. I'm thinking now that it might be better to use UDS today then top up with wax every so often and save polish for when needed.

Well, I have given the car a really good valet yesterday and today. Yesterday I cleaned the interior with the vac and used some Meguiars 3M dash spray which gives a nice matt finish and protects against UV. The leather steering wheel and handbrake handle were duly wiped with some leather wipes. The interior wasn't really dirty anyway but I felt like giving it a going over. I also used Autoglym bumper and trim gel along the bottom of the doors and door ledges.

Today, I washed with Autoglym shampoo just as noted in my first post. Once dry I deployed the Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine Polish (all in one so no wax needed). It was hard work compared to SRP and HD wax but great results in the end. I rounded off by cleaning the glass and using the bumper and trim gel on the front and rear bumpers to really make them shine before using the tyre dressing spray.

As is the way with sods law, completely against the forecast, it has just started raining rather heavily. I swear if I moved to death valley, the hottest driest place on earth and washed my car, it would throw it down with rain!

Looks lovely |B

Know what you mean about car washing then suddenly it Pee's down relentlessly :mad:
I swear someone has a damn good chuckle somewhere once I have paid the valeter and then drive away, it's about that time when the heavenly taps are turned on :lol:

Looking good. I still like it that these mk5s polish up really well. Mines 10 years old and the graphite blue paintwork is still really smooth after a good claybar and wax

Well I am now fuming :mad: Been out to the cinema tonight and it rained heavily. All those hours spent on the car and it's now filthy. Disgusting.

I am not accepting such an outrage though and I'm digging out the gear to wash it again tomorrow. No need to polish of course so it won't take as long.

GGGRRR!

Same. I jet washed 100sq mtr of slabs out back garden then paint Geo Fix sealant on them. Been raining all evening. Hope the sealant had sunk in enough otherwise I'll be joining you doing it all again

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back