Please help! TTRS

Salhab

Car
Audi ttrs
Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting a 2012 used audi ttrs. Went today to the local dealer and they have one. The car comes in full options+stronic.

Hardware parts on it: hybrid turbo, exhaust system, downpipe, large intercooler, airflow system.

The original owner reflashed the ecu to stock, he removed the map and advertised the car for sale.
What should i test in the car before buying it and if i do, what is the maping options to drive it? Or can i drive it without a map?
Thank u

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

If as you say the car is at a dealer then you will have some protection should the hardware fail.
But, the previous performance map would have been there to take advantage of the extra equipment and as such the basic Audi map will not exploit the performance of the extra hardware to it's full potential. I would ask the dealer to contact the previous owner to ask where he had the map done. It may be that the previous performance map has not been deleted from the ECU but merely switched off.

Why would they delete the map?

Good question: For some dealers knowing that there is a performance map on the car they hope to sell, can in some instances open up a can of worms when it comes to future warranty claims for future problems. If the map was from their own manufacturers recommended performance division then it's not a problem, but third party companies are usually viewed as "not knowing what they are doing" so the dealer prefers the prevention route and not the cure.

Thank you for the feedbacks.
I contacted the guy that installed the map, he said that if i buy the car, i need to give him a visit and he will just remove the torque limiter and the car will be back as it was before. And he said that the dsg will need to be remapped.

I have no idea what he is talking about, am a newbie in tuning.

As for the dealer, they dont offer me any kind of warranty.

Thats why i need guidance in examining everything before buying the car

The guy who remapped the car sounds like a decent chap. The DSG remapped means a tweak to how the automatic gearbox will respond. As for the car dealer not offering any kind of warranty :eek: Leave the car and walk away my friend.

What do you mean by how the automatic gear will respond?? I have seen some reputables tuners offering maps for the dsg? Can you please explain so i can understand.
Thank you

It will change the gears quicker and some instances hold on to a particular gear for longer if the map deems it necessary.

Thank you for your help!
Sadly i live in Lebanon, and we barely have dealers offering warrantys on preowned vehicules. We have only 3 audi ttrs in Lebanon.

If i want to buy the car, what are the tests that i should do before buying it?

And what does the remap guy mean by saying he will remove the torque limiter?

:(
No warranty means a world of trouble for you if something goes wrong with the car shortly after you have bought it. As for possible things to look out for try looking here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/tt/reliability

Removing the Torque limiter means removing the manufacturers torque limit on the engine, in some cases this means new found additional power and some cases this can also mean less protection for the automatic gearbox. It is purely down to the skills of the remapper as to how far he goes with this.

I'd assume if it was mapped via a handset, that said handset will have a certain number of lives (links to different vehicles in its' cycle). The owner would have removed the map probably to sell the device on to someone else.

If you are set on a TT RS (hehe titie arse... :lol:) have you considered importing one yourself? You may get a better deal and importers will probably look after you and your car better.

On The VAG family of DSG gearboxes the remap usually only alters the speed of the gear change very slightly . The main reason for the map is to increase the clamping pressure of the clutch plates to deal with the extra torque that the engine will be producing after its remap.

On another note with regards to the hardware upgrades on the car, any prolonged running of the engine, if indeed it runs very well at all, will probably result in damage to the engine as a stock ecu software file will NOT have the capability to run these upgrades, the fueling, timing pull and boost parameters will be way way out for the setup that is on the car.
These 5 cyl engines tune very well in the hands of the right people but on the flip side it can also go very wrong, very quickly if they dont know what they are doing.