Please Help....Questions Questions....Audi S3

H

Henry Nichols

Hi,

I have just bought myself an S3 - the sexier old shape 2002 1.8T 225BHP. As I have purchased it from an audi dealer I am very limitted to waht I can do to it in order to not invalidate the warranty.

Obviously my first upgrade will be to chip the ECU. Audi have said they will do this and it wont invalidate my warranty. The other option is another chipping company. I know of all the big names e.g. QST, AmD and APR but I think I would prefer Revo as their HQ is just down the road. I know Revo also do a switch which puts the ECU back to "stock" but Audi if they looked into it hard enough would probably notice when I take it in to be serviced. Could anyone tell me whether an official audi remap would increase torque and BHP as much as a Revo remap? Does anyone have any preferences as to which remapping company is best? Im looking for all over torque throughout the rev range....not blistering acceleration at around 2/3 of the revs.

Other upgrades Im looking at are a Milltek exhaust. I think a worth while upgrade as there is both a power boost and a longer life. However.....should I have the exhaust fitted before the ECU mapping or does it not make a difference?

Brakes and Suspension are further down on the list. Im thinking Bilstein and Eiback for suspension but stuck with what to do for big brakes.....has anyone got any suggestions? And will any genuine audi brakes fit on so I could fit them during my warranty period?

Finally a definate upgrade will be either OZ Superturismo 19" or the 9 spoke RS4/TT 19". The big difference here is obviously price as the 9 spoke replica's are pretty cheap. However at present I have the 17" Avus alloys which aren't too bad but upgrading to 19" wont I have to recalibate my speedo and suspension? Is there anything else that will need adjusting so the drive shafts dont brake ? How about the tracking?

Thanks for any help given its much appreciated....oh and all the above upgrades are all subject to cash flow so I think I will be saving some time.

Henry

Hi Henry its nice to have you along. The S3 is a stonking car. I'd leave it standard for a few month then chip it - you'll have a new car all over again then! Super unleaded will help get more power if you are just using standard unleaded. If going from 17-19 you will need to do tracking etc (Unless you use ultra low profile tyres which maintain the same rotational diameter). If suspension is not lowered too much your driveshafts should be ok. Bigger wheels = bigger diameter will always mean a speedo recalibration. (See our alloy wheel article in Tuning for more details of this!)

A panel air filter is a pretty cheap warranty friendly mod so you might want to look into this.

as for brakes have a look for a porche boxter certain the front calipers should be pretty close as thats why im looking for the s3 tt etc front discs and carriers as many drivers are uprating theirs

as for the super unleaded i got a 13bhp increase and 9 ftlb from using super over 95ron ( details taken using vagcom, engine measuring block 122 )
as for the revo remap the serial port switch (sps) just activates another part of the program and although it puts the performance back to standard it doesnt completely reset the ecu back to standard so it is still possible for the map to show up.

if your going down the remap it may be a good idea to uprate the diverter valve as well as there prone to splitting and getting pinholes in them.