peugeot 307 1.4 2002 tunning

giannisapi

Car
peugeot 307
Hi all,

I have a peugeot 307 1.4 production year 2002.

I am thinking to increase the horse power a bit (about 80hp now) as i can see the car struggling currently when it is a bit loaded. My first thought is to change the engine with another one of more power. But from the other hand i dont know which would be better for me financially wise to do (engine swap or tuning the current one)? What do u recommend?

I dont need anything extraordinary for example 150hp would be more than enough for me.

If you have any recommendation I would be more than intersted to hear them.

Note: my engine is 8 valves.

Regards,
giannis

hi giannis
engine swapping is a bit of a nightmare, i know it sounds all well and good but i'm currently in the middle of swapping a 306 1.4 for a 1.9 205 gti and its a real pain. if you really want swap you COULD swap for the 2.0 16v from the 406 that'll give about 137 maybe, if you want 150 from a french engine you would need a gti-6 or a tuned vts (citroen) but be careful to match up the clutches (hydrolic to cable or visa versa is a nightmare) also you would probably need driveshafts and front axles for the conversion from the donar vehicle. though i have heard of a good honda conversion, the h22a vtec will go in but you will need custom driveshafts (cheapest i could find were £1500) you can also get the 1.5 vtec from the crx del sol and the civic type r to fit, again driveshafts are your issue. The classic 3l v6 (210bhp) mod is possible, driveshafts gearbox and clutch is an issue there and some modification required if you get a 6 speed gearbox with the engine. Please just remember that conversions sound great and there are some great gains to be had, but ive not yet heard of a conversion going without a hitch. look at the xu10 line of pug engines but the bhp is poor for the size compared to the jap engines, but the spares are readily availible and cheap.

On the other hand weve recently been playing with a 1.1 vw polo (06 i think) good gains can be had from a good service!, newer cars have memory ecu's which means if you rag the hell out of it, it remembers and gives you more power because it thinks you don't care about fuel economy. as for perfomance mods you have the classics; lowering, strut braces, ht leads, irridium sparks, FULLY SYNTH OIL!!, lighter alloy wheels, get it rolling roaded and remapped find out when they're coming to town i got mine done for £35 with a load of mates, ecu piggyback chips are great! (if fitted properly) port and polish, perfomace induction and exhaust (do it properly and see people who know what they are doing! dont just stick a massive exhaust on it if it's not the best for it), lest i say it decat? there are loads more little mods that'll add two or three hp at best but it all adds up to a big differance :) you will notice and be satisfied!

god thats an essay :)
hope it helps

thanks for your reply Exodus. Seems that I will be not swapping the engine after all if all of what you told me holds. Just one final question: do u maybe know any engine which will fit exactly in my car without need of any other major changes to the car ? Perhaps a bigger engine of the same model or some other peugeot model bigger engine?

Regards,
giannis

the trouble is all in the driveshafts if they don't match up then there are problems, so all you would have to do is find the specs of yours and match them up, the engine mounts should be the same. but then again it depends how much money you have, for about £2000 you can ge a good engine transfer done by a pro. http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk/

the 1.4's aren't really worth tuning unless it's in a 106/saxo

I'd suggest getting a HDi for that sort of power....

or get a 306 1.4....lighter...better handling and better fuel economy and faster :D