Peugeot 306 D turbo - Mods

Try getting a Xantia engine mate. Thats the route Ill be heading down eventually. Stronger bottom ends then the D turbo. Make for a good base to start tuning.

i would imagine they will go well with just a remap and tune.this is the first diesel and turbo car i have ever owned and i must say i prefer it to a petrol due to the fuel consumption and torque.what you done to your motor ?

mate yours.is.a. 90hp so is the hdi...

The 1.9s are easier to tune... and as said the xantia/406 1.9s are stronger, go for.engine codr dhx or d8b

No, both are 90 hp, hdi is 2.0l with slightly more midrange torque,
My 205 is 75hp because it doesn't have the intercooler... and thats the same engine (almost, it's a 1.8 but are identical to the 1.9)

and no you don't have to take the engine out to change the turbo but you do need to undo the top engine mount and tilt the engine forward, inlet manifold has to come off also, you have to take the turbo off with the exhaust manifold and its a very heavy piece of iron....

Will do something else then ,lol.if i had a second car i would prob have a go myself as i like tinkering but i am not that clued up,only servicing and body work not major repairs.dont know where i got 75 bhp from.just checked ebay them xantias are cheap for the whole car.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't as difficult as it sounds mate... believe me... I never knew how to do an change change untill I gave it a go....

But to be fair, if you need to change the cambelt and turbo and are doing a few jobs on the engine like that then removing the engine would be easier...

there is a xantia 110 on ebay for £250 complete car spares.would be batter me just buying one at the end of the year for how cheap they are and get it tuned and then have the engine dropped in mine.used some 10k boost last week and the car rund alot better now...got rid of a small flat spot i had.

Xantia 110 will be ethier a 2.1 xud or a 2.0 hdi, not a 1.9

Mineral engine oil in your fuel helps keep the pump abd injectors lubricated, buy a cheap bottle of mineral engine oil from tesco and put 500ml in every fill :)

^^^ Really? :blink:

Is that only for that particular car J or can I pass that tip onto a friend of mine that has a 308.

I dont mind answering questions at all mate, i hate forums that just say 'use the search function' and yeah, darren is a farmer from cornwall...

146k is still bugger all for these engine even for tuning....youll struggle to find one with a significantly lower milage on it, have a look by all means but good 1.9 dt's are hard to come by

Mate, I have been fancing a stage 1 tune on my d turbo for a while, but am running out of money and am going to France on 27 august... So I would love to come visit you, but not yet! :( Any way, my engines done 200,000 miles! and it still pulls extremely well. My main aim is to run the old engine into oblivion, and buy a Xantia lump and work from that.

2.1 xud or a 2.0 hdi should drop straight in mine then ? which one is the better option ?
that mineral engine oil...can i get that from morrisons or do local part dealers sell it cus i am in a rural area and tesco is 20mile away,lol.

^^^ Really? :blink:

Is that only for that particular car J or can I pass that tip onto a friend of mine that has a 308.

yes really, but diesels with a DPF/FAP in the exhaust then I would avoid doing it like the plauge, the reason for doing it is that our old diesels were designed to use high sulphir diesel, sulphur has lubricating properties and taken away it means that parts wear out quicker, so adding either engine oil or two stroke to the diesel in small quantities helps,
Also veg oil will do the same and filtered used engine oil
Common rail and modern diesels(VW PD) shouldnt need it as they were designed with ULSdiesel in mind but it cant hurt to use say 500ml per 60ltrs, but diesels equipped with DPFs must avoid doing this as it will clog it up,

So i dare say your friend with the 308 should just stick to branded diesel,(non supermarket) the raw product is the same but supermarkets dont use additives, and over time will kill your injectors

thats expensive, i was talking about halford own or tescos own which you can get for 10-15 quid for 5litres.....

And as for.engine swaps, if you want a 306 hdi then just buy one rather than making one
more trouble than its worth making a car that was avaliable from the factory, a 2.1 isnt avaliable from the factory (in a 306) so is worth doing, i did that with mine but its not 100% straight fit, the standard turbo fouls the bulk head and will have to be hammered to fit or you can move it to the top of the gearbox like me...

yeh it is but it will do for now,the shop i got it from is virtually next to the gym i goto and the nearest tesco is over 20 mile away so i will grab a 5l when i go shopping. 2.1 xud out of the xantia is the one then.

Well, with me and you its tit for tat, like painting for spannering...lol

I would do but its a bit too much of a niche
... and people dont like to spend a great deal of money on french cars..

Well, with me and you its tit for tat, like painting for spannering...lol

I would do but its a bit too much of a niche
... and people dont like to spend a great deal of money on french cars..

:)

Just a quickie... Seen a TD04 13T turbo for sale on Egay. £199 brand new... But its for a Shogan and the manifold mount looks completely different to that of a Subaru TD04. I think the 13T's are on some Saabs?

13t's are used on subarus as well...

Good turbo to go for... the 15G and 19T are also good but I'd stick with the 13T for it's all around ability...

how much power are you wanting Dave?

13t's are used on subarus as well...

Good turbo to go for... the 15G and 19T are also good but I'd stick with the 13T for it's all around ability...

how much power are you wanting Dave?

Well...I eventually want to go compound charged. That wont be for a while though of course, as I have just passed. What I am aiming for isnt horsepower but Torque. So I'll say in the region of 140-150 bhp, I will be buying a Xantia engine first off and seeing how much power I can gain from a simple stage 1 with a bosche pump. But will need an explaination on producing torque, if my project goes through...

you can get 140 from the standard turbo and a decent intercooler and youll have a shed load of torque to go with it... id say compounds are only worth it past about 180hp/30psi

an ideal turbo that should be easy to get a hold of and shouldnt be laggy would be a GT2052 from a Landrover TD5, might even transplant into the T2 turbine housing....would be nice if it did...

also a GT1752 off a Saab probably would do also... off the 2.0litre turbo 150bhp engine....no idea whats its called.... Oz, can you help me out here?

you can get 140 from the standard turbo and a decent intercooler and youll have a shed load of torque to go with it... id say compounds are only worth it past about 180hp/30psi

an ideal turbo that should be easy to get a hold of and shouldnt be laggy would be a GT2052 from a Landrover TD5, might even transplant into the T2 turbine housing....would be nice if it did...

Fair enough mate! I wondered if you could get more then 120 bhp from the standard setup including a decent intercooler.

After my holiday mate, I may come on down and see you. Could do with a service and some help fitting a rear beam if thats cool?

Not so much these engines, it's the fuel pump that limits that. The governor spring on the throttle arm starts to cut fuelling past 4k rpm. The turbos on the earlier models (pre 1998 so no that early) are capable of making power to the red line. It's a trait of IDI engines to make good top end.

Bosch pumps are much better than the lucas ones, if you know what you are doing then it's a straight forward job but it's something that requires a lot of trial and error to get right :)

If you buy a mid section for a 1994/1995 dturbo which doesn't have the CAT in it then thats the easiest way to go.

Also if you want I can come and tune your motor for you, all it will cost you is a some diesel money and some food :)

Hi are you still able to help with engine tuning.
Regards. Tony.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
My 405 died.. head gasket!!!
Got hold of anther one, but its not running as well as the old one was.
so looking for help tuning the engine.
Tony.

Hi.
I got the 405 im using now very recently,the one with blown head gasket is sitting in back garden...good for spares..
the one im driving now just hasnt got the power of the old one.
Its not been touched yet.
Idles about 750. does wobble a bit on its way down to this.
I dont realy know much but i can see the anti- stall is not making contact with the lever.
A little bit of black when booted, not much.
Just want to get a bit more go in here.
Im worried if start try tweeking it my self, Ill mess it up.