Peugeot 306 D turbo - Mods

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Hey Guys,

As the title suggests Mods.

I have been thinking an induction kit, as Ive heard from numerous sites its will benefit a fair bit.

Also, a cold air feed pipe? where is the best mounting location?

One more thing, I have been looking into an enclosure for the kit. Are they hard to make? Is there a good place to find them?

Thanks,

-D

Thread had been here less than an hour an you feel the need to bump it?
Please be patient this is a worldwide site so you may not get an answer straight away.
Bumping after under an hour is spamming in my book so please be patient.

Sorry :(

Adding to my post. Is there such a thing as exhaust extensions? I was given an exhaust from my friend who also had a 306. I fitted it today and the exhaust doesnt reach the rear bumper. I am wondering why?

So anything like that will be be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

-D

Induction kit - wont ad masses of power, you might see a couple of horses but more likely youll feel the placebo effect.

exhaust extensions - yup halfords sell them theyre the fake tips
just by chance was his a 3dr and yours a 5dr ? might explain the difference or is it an OEM exhaust that is maybe supposed to not come out the bumper

Induction kit - wont ad masses of power, you might see a couple of horses but more likely youll feel the placebo effect.

just by chance was his a 3dr and yours a 5dr ? might explain the difference or is it an OEM exhaust that is maybe supposed to not come out the bumper

Right my mates 306 i just found out was a 97, mines a 99. both 5dr.

( sorry for the noob questions, whats a placebo effect? like go faster stripes? )

Right the exhaust is around, say half an inch from reaching the rear bumper. Would a muffler be my best bet for a full, good looking exhaust? the tip is curved outwards, so maybe taking a angle grinder and trimming the edge off, then placing a muffler that is 3 inches in size?

I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180533383029&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

From what I can see, the adapter part is 3 inches and it would fit my exhaust?

Also this.. an adapter to make the exhaust a little longer? from the joins under the car, so the exhaust, then adapter then backbox?

Well my mates pug ( yeah OEM exhaust ) was a 5dr 97 hatch, mine is a 99 hatch and its a diesel. His was a petrol :/ So... I am going to either buy that adapter or..? suggestions?

Mate, check my project thread out, I'm currently doing a dturbo prject and there's plenty you can do,

a tuneup will be the best bet for decent gains. I can send you a guide on how to do it.

best bet a is a full system, and cut the cat out, disconnect the EGR and tune up. leave the standard airbox as it's the best thing for it.

best bet a is a full system, and cut the cat out, disconnect the EGR and tune up. leave the standard airbox as it's the best thing for it.

Right, so bypass the cat? or take it out fully? I thought you needed a cat? How would I go about this?

remove it completely, it's not needed to pass an MOT on our cars. Also you can tweak up the fuel pump and tweak the turbo and disconnect the EGR, all worth while and mods that cost nothing to do for much bigger gains than any induction kit. Where do you live chap?

I live up ( well down ) in Essex.

I'll need some serious help with these mods, I am comfy with some stuff, but an egr, turbo tuning etc... gets a little out of my league... I am sure with the right guides and maybe one or 2 visits :p, mine will run like a champ.

I like what you done to the wheels and axecels? gti6 ones arent they?

remove it completely, it's not needed to pass an MOT on our cars. Also you can tweak up the fuel pump and tweak the turbo and disconnect the EGR, all worth while and mods that cost nothing to do for much bigger gains than any induction kit. Where do you live chap?

Sorry, the catalyc converter? completly remove? would I need new manifolds? or does the Cat just connect?

Hey Guys,​

As the title suggests Mods.​

I have been thinking an induction kit, as Ive heard from numerous sites its will benefit a fair bit.​

Also, a cold air feed pipe? where is the best mounting location?​

One more thing, I have been looking into an enclosure for the kit. Are they hard to make? Is there a good place to find them?​

Thanks,
-D​

I belive you can fiddle with the fuel pump in the engine bay and increase the power somewhat!!
My lad had a 306 d turbo for his first car and i test drove it and was amazed how rapid it was,the seller said hed fiddled with the pump.
I didnt get much chance to look into it as my son,despite his claim of being a good driver came running down the road at 1am claiming his car was oin fire.
Turned out hed binnned it into a barrier,bent all the wing down onto the passenger wheel and drove home with the wiring loom in between the wing and wheel and 300 ft away it all shorted and bonfire night came early!

Last edited:
Would this make it breath better as imho diesels do tend to run out of puff way to quickly!!

Not so much these engines, it's the fuel pump that limits that. The governor spring on the throttle arm starts to cut fuelling past 4k rpm. The turbos on the earlier models (pre 1998 so no that early) are capable of making power to the red line. It's a trait of IDI engines to make good top end.

Bosch pumps are much better than the lucas ones, if you know what you are doing then it's a straight forward job but it's something that requires a lot of trial and error to get right :)

If you buy a mid section for a 1994/1995 dturbo which doesn't have the CAT in it then thats the easiest way to go.

Also if you want I can come and tune your motor for you, all it will cost you is a some diesel money and some food :)

Not so much these engines, it's the fuel pump that limits that. The governor spring on the throttle arm starts to cut fuelling past 4k rpm. The turbos on the earlier models (pre 1998 so no that early) are capable of making power to the red line. It's a trait of IDI engines to make good top end.

Bosch pumps are much better than the lucas ones, if you know what you are doing then it's a straight forward job but it's something that requires a lot of trial and error to get right :)

If you buy a mid section for a 1994/1995 dturbo which doesn't have the CAT in it then thats the easiest way to go.

Also if you want I can come and tune your motor for you, all it will cost you is a some diesel money and some food :)

Hmm, Ive seen you remove yours in your build thread. Looks easy enough! The fuel pump, if corrected his next the the accelerator wire? Hmm come and tune my turbo... £50 for diesel, £25 for dinner? We may have a deal... :D So removal of the Cat will give a little more performance? The removing of the lucas pump, and putting a bosch on, helps a little, is the bosch more tunable? Also I need a new cam belt kit. I can pick one up for £70. I dont think it has been changed in a long time. So before I do anything that is the top of my list!

I cannot appriciate anough, for all the help i have gotton. I have been a member for 3 days! Thanks!

Yeah ok, you got a deal, need to work out a day :)

The bosch pump is stronger and more tuneable, you can shim the governor spring and fit a bigger distributor head from various other Bosch VE type injector pumps.

Be careful with the 406 ones, as some of them have an ECU advance mechanism and is not direable for the 306 as it doesn't have the facility to use it so you won't get any dynamic advance. Basically it will sound like crap.

405 and 306 ones are ok and some 406 ones. if you read the VIN on your car it will have the engine code in it there are loads of them but from the year you have told me your car is, it will likely be a DHY engine code, same as mine. There is also a D8A, D8B and also DHX, the DHX has the ECU bosch pumps thats found in 406s so if your raiding a car in the scrap yard stay away from DHX engine codes. You will need the pump injector lines and injectors.

I've still got to update my thread still as I have made a couple of changes to it,
and I've got to fit my other bosch pump also.

Nice one,thanks,ill take you up on that,im not too far from you in milton keynes.

My mate is manager of a local tyre and exhaust centre so getting a cat removed and sleeved is no problem.

I will get that done and get back to you.

Thanks very much,youre a gent!!!

Liam

The EGR doesnt seem to difficult to remove. With the CAT, do i simply get a straight through exhaust pipe? Well what ever they are called :p

When we arrange a time, You'll have to bring your tool kit :p We had some family issues and the step dad had all the tools. He no longer lives with us.

If thats the case, could we get or replace with a better throttle arm?

That's a lot of stuff to rad, lol ok from the top,

I can bring my tools, and I can disconnect the EGR for ya it's an easy job.
Also fitting a new throttle arm won't change the governor spring arrangement, it would be a case of busting the pump open and that would need removing from the car. But then again not worth it on a lucas but a tune is still possible with decent gains :)

Can you not get a mid section for a 1995? Your mate should be able to get one from there trade seller, and it shouldn't cost a lot of money. Also might I suggest you buy a boost gauge so we can get the wastegate set just right as too much boost is an engine killer!,

The best thing is the whole system, and cut the cat out, remove the EGR and melody. without leaving the air box standards because it is better to do it.

I done the basics with my missus diesel, took me about an hour and the only cost was a filter.
I put in a K&N panel filter, removed the guts out of the cat (as mentioned its not needed for the mot), do this by removing the cat, get a long bar, chisel and an FBH, then just knock out the guts til theres nothing left inside.
The other thing i done was blanked off the EGR (which i unblank in the cold weather).

I felt a big difference with what i done there and that was the first diesel i ever worked on.

When i took the car for its last mot, i was interested in what the emissions were, so i asked the bloke and he said it passed with flying colours, then i told him what i had done and he couldnt believe the emissions were so low with those mods.

HTH

Cheers

Shane

Ah nice one mate! FBH? so disconnect the cat, then using a FBH literally bash out the insides so the cat is empty? Where is the EGR located?

Crude, but effective I guess.
old diesels are smoke denceity tested not emissions tested and the cat does nothing to cut smoke emissions. You're best to leave the egr disconnected completely to keep the inlet clean.

FBH = F'kin Big Hammer

You say crude but what is a decat, a pipe without the guts, so why not just degut the original cat, doesnt cost anything then (unless your handy with electric glue and then sell the cat as some places will give you a decent amount for them with all the precious metals)

I dont know much about the 306, only what i've read on the forums

Shane

It is a bit crude, but like I said does the job, but when you can buy a non cat midsection off an early model dturbo for about £35 and you can get a decent wodge of cash for you old cat at a scrap yard (don't forget cats have things like platinum in them and all sort of exotic metals) like £100 then your quids in doing it that way round.

Wait, let me get this right... REMOVE the cat and...replace a non cat mid section? where would I find one of them mate? egay? so would a 95' pug fit the requirements or earlier?

Try your local scrap yard/breakers, while your there just ask how much they'll give you for the cat

Sorry I didn't realise the mid section from an older model would fit.

No problem mate :)

And yeah, his idea is worth a look as well, there's usually a few 306's in there, check the phase1's, not all of them are non cat but it's the best place to start.