performance question

JapMaD

Car
1993 GTO n/a
Hi Guys...and gals.

Hello from a new GTO owner :)

I 've just bought a 1993 GTO non turbo automatic. Pretty standard apart form a Blue Flame exhaust.
I have a feeling the car isn't performing to it's capabilities. The engine hardly exceeds 6500 rpm at full throttle. I know it's an automatic but I just feel it should be quicker than it is now. It runs very smooth though. Had a full service incl. new timing belt & tensioners etc 3000 miles ago. Any ideas?

What is the redline on the engine? Do your sprint times 0-60 come anywhere close to the book figures?

What is the redline on the engine? Do your sprint times 0-60 come anywhere close to the book figures?

I just read that the redline is 7000rpm. The problem is that I can't find any figures for the automatic 0-60 times. The manual is 6.7 secs, which I'm about 2 secs above.

Your N/A auto redlines at 7200, has 220 bhp and really is as slow as you think it is. Sorry but they [N/A's] are slow. These motors were built as grand tourers. Stick a manual box and a pair of turbos on them [different engine internals/heads etc] and they are a different car altogether. It will cruise all day in excess of 150 mph but due to the auto variant it just doesn't get there too quick.
Things you need to have done or be in reciept of having done;
Full cambelt service, that includes the belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner,tensioning pulley, idler pulley and we also change the thermostat.
The capacitors in the ECU and TCU are prone to leakage, change them or they will damage the boards. An ECU repair is possible at around £200 ish but if they leak in the TCU it will cost you between £5 - 800 for a new one.
Fit an oil cooler to the transmission, the stock system of cooling the fluid via the radiator doesn't work.
Renew your g/box oil and filter, only use genuine filters. You will also need to renew the g/box sump gasket.

Thanks CountryBumpkin,

The cam belt and everything related has been changed 3000km ago, same with g/box filter & oil. The leaking capacitors is new for me, where can I get these capacitors?
Is there a write-up somewhere about the extra oil cooler?