pads & discs

ihark

Car
civic type r ep3
Which brake pads & discs can anyone recommend have been looking at EBC & BLACK DIAMOND they seem to be priced at the same and rated the same has any one tried both?

Last edited by a moderator:
They're brakes, not breaks! Right, that's off my chest!

I would avoid EBC at all costs. I had very bad results with their Greenstuff formulation. Useless when cold. Smoke when hot.

Rossini makes some good products.

Also, check out a company called Blueprint. Mainly their business is aftermarket parts for Japanese cars but they also source upgrade parts.

I fitted Black Diamond discs to one of my GTO's, they cracked. I have seen them on other cars with the same result. This doesn't mean that they are all bad but we won't fit them to anything due to past experiences.
I'm sure some people have had good results with them.
DBA make good quality discs, i don't know if they do them for your car but it's worth looking for them as a possibility.

wouldnt advise the greenpads on the civic anyway as its heavier than your normal shopping cart that these would go on. changes are it would be redstuff for yours - again these are not normally recommended as they need some heat in them.

ive just threw some mintex m1144 on mine still really bedding in but the squeal like buggery at low speeds but fine above 20mph. they also have a good bite after but they require a little heat in them so the 1st brake is a little less responsive.

federo ds2500 come highly recommend again they need a little heat in them to work well

Wow - that's better than the prices I got. Hence sticking with the OEM ATE pads and discs!

I wonder if I'd have had better results with Red Stuff EBCs in the Peugeot. The Green Stuff was far inferior to OEM pads. 406 was pretty heavy - well over 1500kg so perhaps it was the wrong choice for the car.

Wow - that's better than the prices I got. Hence sticking with the OEM ATE pads and discs!

I wonder if I'd have had better results with Red Stuff EBCs in the Peugeot. The Green Stuff was far inferior to OEM pads. 406 was pretty heavy - well over 1500kg so perhaps it was the wrong choice for the car.

as we have discussed in the past mate i have ebc discs and redstuff pads and i have no problems with them and my car isnt exactly light 1300 kg's iirc probably a bit more with my optional extras

a mate runs redstuff on his astra coupe and says they need some heat in them, trust me it wont take him long as hes been through 3 turbos in as many years, but they work great

yet ive heard just as many horror stories with greenstuff

as we have discussed in the past mate i have ebc discs and redstuff pads and i have no problems with them and my car isnt exactly light 1300 kg's iirc probably a bit more with my optional extras

The 406 was over 1500kgs so there's my retrospective answer - Redstuff!