Optimum tyre pressures

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What are the optimum tyre pressure? Most makers list a figure for fully laden, 2 passengers and 1 passenger. Do these have much of a bearing on the overall performance?

Too hard equals in my mind less grip and heavy mid tyre wear.

Too soft means rubbish handling and greater wear.

So for an average TorqueCarsian with spirited drives in mind how would you choose your tyre pressure then?

Thanks for answering but I'm still confused. :confused:

But they say something like 42psi fully laden 38psi 2 occupants and 35psi 1 occupant. I was lead to beleive that for hardish driving you should go a bit more.

Or were you talking about the tyre manufacturers recommendation.

Because as the temps increase the pressure rises anyway (I do mine warm anyway, but the harder you drive the warmer it'll get) and an overinflated tyre will have less contact with the road. I've never thought, heard or been told any different tbh.

30 - 32 psi

davem - think mines are rated to 50 odd PSI over 45 PSI this would possible give me pretty bad handling and bad wear on the center
It will I tried it! Centre of the tyre wore out really quickly, handling was pretty rubbish and the ride quality was really harsh.

In my defence it was the tyre fitters that put the tyres on the car and overinflated them. By the time I realised what was happening I'd lost 1.4mm of tread in the centre. I thought they were just bad tyres.

After they were set to the right pressure things improved a lot and I had about 6 months wear left on them.

The sidewall is literally an indication of maximum pressure that may be used during fitment of the tyre and sealing it onto the rim.

I used to run 36 PSI in the Peugeot front and rear, which seemed to give best trad life and handling response but at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

every tyre i fit i put in 30psi unless its a van

but i am running about 15psi in my discovery at the min for the snow so i dont get stuck anywere while towing cars and better for off road