Oops Ive done it again...........

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
I took the car to RAF Marham for the 30-130 run by the MLR.

Now the car quite well to start with...

Id got the 30-130 time down to 13.5 seconds and a top speed of 166 which is v box timed not speedo (which was off the clock).

The 166 top speed run had a lot of runway left so I had another few goes starting off with full launch control

The 30-130 came down to 13.2 which isnt bad for a full weight bus but something gave way at about 150mph filling the entire runway with white smoke

I drove off the runway toward the pit as at the time I hadnt seen the smoke as the mirrors were shut ( it all helps) . As I slowed down the smoke became obvious so I stopped.
Suddenly there was then a kingston cop moment as fire engines and marshalls hurtled towards me from every direction after I had stopped on the way back.

They took a lot of convincing it wasnt on fire or dropping oil
Because the ashfelt is a special type that absorbs moisture so the planes can land in the wet they are -paranoid about spillage. And it is mega expensive so any fire and the whole car is sprayed.

Anyway on to the damage ?

I think it is a piston (at least) The fuel pressure was fine and it had been mapped for the event flat out on boost in all gears is very hard on any engine and my foot had been on the floor for a long time.

So it looks like there will be a new greanmachine project thread

Ive discounted breaking it or selling with a stock engine mainly because the rest of the car ran absoluelty spot all day.
Most impressive was absolutely no judder or at all or movement off the line and at 160+
The new awd suystem handled the power so well I had no wheelspin even when using the full launch control from standstill on boost

I also found out what good brakes are . It seemed to stop almost instanly from 160+ with no fade and in a perfectly straight line

So I just need a motor....

I have a spare RB26 but it isnt forged so wont take the power of the current turbos and cams.

For that reason I probably wont use it because I cant see me happily driving it with less power than it has now.

So the hunt is on to find a suitable engine

Options are maybe a rb30 short block or there is a virtually new time attack engine for sale on the gtrroc which I know the history and the builder (RB motorsport )Trouble is lots of £££s

The good news

A the fastest speed in the world for a gtr was set on saturday 239,1 mph

The same car also did 30-130 in 4.63 seconds and aside from the first shake down run broke 5 seconds 5 out of the six runs . Only difference was a change of tyres.

And yes this was a Nissan engine ,yes its overbored , bigger turbos plus a fair bit more. It is road legal but not exactly a good runaround :lol:

Fastest 30-130 run of the weekend was a scooby on sunday 4.01 , less headwind on the sunday but still mindblowing.

This scooby is and out and out stripped track car car with NOTHING on the car that isnt needed

Just to add the 30-130 time are all uphill into a headwind. The runway which is 1.6 miles long levels out halfway.

I feel your pain sleeper :sad2:

I really hope that you get a replacement engine soon for the monster :)

Oh thats a massive shame mate! I hope you get the green machine back on the road soon!

So with whats happened, have you any reason to rethink anything? Maybe larger turbos? Especially if your trying to source a forged engine?

That's what i'd call mixed feelings. I feel for you buddy. Hope you get it all sorted out quickly.

I guess an RB40 is the next engine you'll be creating.... ;)

Oh thats a massive shame mate! I hope you get the green machine back on the road soon!

So with whats happened, have you any reason to rethink anything? Maybe larger turbos? Especially if your trying to source a forged engine?

The engine was forged
It was simply flat out for half a mile in top gear on full boost which is a different ball game to a standing quarter or the like .
And I did it four or five times ,(or was it six :bigsmile: )

I will probably keep the turbos if they are ok and get some head work done with maybe some nos for santa pod etc

Looks like the GTR will be coming out more than I had planned

Sleeper I too have lost a less than 3000k old forged motor at the track due to a poor /bad dyno tuner so feel for you.
PS it's "Keystone Cops"

After further checking it seems that the be st guess isn't a bad map bit a bad right foot.
The most likely clprit is the cas unit which can fluctuate when flat out for long periods . This only happens on a top speed run so almost impossible to check on a rolling road .
Any change in timing at that speed can cause det and this could lift the head
Water goes into the cylinder at full revs hence the serious white smoke . After the run the engine cools down so when started cold the next day there is no smoke

well I am now a lot poorer but the green bus is happy because he has a new motor.

I have bought a 2.8 HKS step 2 motor with a special crank , cams , oil pump etc and a fully flowed head
It will produce between 650 and 850bhp dependand on turbo set up and as all HKS strokers are forged so this should prove indistructable , even for me .

Current thinking is probably a pair of garrett gt28RSs , better known as disco potatoes which should spool up pretty early and produce circa 700bhp

plan has changed re turbos

Current thinking is that it may be better to keep the 2860-5s . On the face of it they will not produce as much power, 630-650 at absolute max which is way less than the motor is capable of.
But on the plus side they should spool up very quickly with really good torque so the car should be really driveable and I really dont need a lot over 600 very often.

It is true I have been having therapy .....................

After 15 sessions I was down to 450 but recently unfortunately I had a relapse and went on a bhp binge and bought the stroker.

My therapist will no longer see me as I am apparently a hopeless case.

:lol: You'll have a lot of scope for a power hike should you need it and with the smaller turbo the whole engine should be indestructible (unless you do something silly!)

Just go with the higher power option, having it there will ease the mind, running short in the future may cause irrepable mental disfunction and you may end up a lunatic for life...

Ive had some correspondance with a fair few people on the oz stagea forum including someone who has a rb28 with 5s . He has some dyno readings. showing 650 has been acheived so that the way I will go especially as I think my engine spec is a bit higher.

So keeping the 5s should make close to 650 with really fast spool up and I will then only need to add an inline fuel pump .

I would only really need(want) more for drag events and things like the 30-130 and this could be acheived by running e85 with a second switchable map which my ecu allows.

This will also be a much cheaper option than changing the turbos and will cover pay the cost of the second map especially it can be done right after the one it will be having after the build.

SO all the more for other bits :bigsmile:

And on that subject i now have a Quaife ATE (tourqu bias) LSD in the front. It works the same way as the diff in an rs focus so should help the handling a fair bit ,

It is supposed to be indestructible and has a lifetime guarantee .................time will tell .

The engine is in . A few cosmetic changes (was getting bored with red)
Just need to make a cosmetic blanking plate to replace the CAS unit.

An update
I was a bit worried when the car first started up as it was smoking quite a bit . I know the engine is not the problem but there was a possibility that the turbos had been damaged .
Fortunately everything is ok in tht department.
It went to be mapped but the existing tomei fuel pump cant keep up with the new engine on boost. It w as fine at 1bar but at 1.2 the ecu closed things down as the afr ratio wasnt right. At least i know he closed loop system works .
Current plan is to fit a walbro 450 which can run 700+ bhp which is well above what he turbos can make.

On the plus side it made around 500bhp at 1 bar so this could be entertaining as he turbos should esily manage 1.7

I may have to think about buying my own pump at the shelll station at the bottom of my road.

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction ;)

The personal pump at Shell sounds like a good idea :)

Does your ECU automatically adjust fuel ratio per amount of boost pressure you set?

Looks awesome though mate. Love the green!

The engine is in . A few cosmetic changes (was getting bored with red)
Just need to make a cosmetic blanking plate to replace the CAS unit.

I thought that this was a family friendly site and no naughty pics allowed:confused::love::love:
BTW no motor is indestructible no matter how well built. IMO a tuner who tunes to get the absolute maximum power will have the AFR's on the lean side of safe and right on the verge of detonation .

Last edited:
Of course obviously nothing is indestructable tcj but the engine should be with the power it is running .
The motor was raced before being refreshed and was built to run four figures safely . In its previous life it was running 720atw with no issues and that is being raced and the car did win the race series it was in.
The motor has been set up for maximum response with much smaller turbos than it can handle so the max power is well under its limit

To answer the ecu questions etc

The ecu monitors andcontrols absolutely everything, including boost , afr ,knock and rev limit which can be set for each gear . It uses various sensors including a wide band lamda sensor .oil pressure , water ,exhaust and oil temp temp , If there is a sensor the ecu can be sent the info.

The main advatage is that most ecus have a set map which is fine but can give a problem if for example an injector fails .
This runs a closed loop which means (I think ) that you can set the desired afr and it then constantly monitors everything and adjusts the tune on the fly to keep it as set.
This allows the engine to run nearer the "unsafe limit " safely and If it cant it is set to shut off boost immeadiately and/or limit the revs (tuners choice)
it can also shut things off if the oil pressure or water temp reaches a set figure.
Accurate readings are therefore of course king so it now runs a crank trigger system rather than the normal CAS because at high revs RB CAS signals can fluctuate and innacurate rev reading obviously give problems.
it can also store more than map (for example e85) which can switched when the engine is not running.

And as I dont need every singl bhp it will not be running right on the edge.

Last edited:
Another update

It appears that the new motor is a tad more powerful:bigsmile:

So new bigger fuel pump fitted back to the dyno but at max revs the coilpacks started failing. Only 2500 miles old but not up to the job so

Fitted better coilpacks back to the dynno but at 1.4 bar the triple plate carbon clutch started slipping. In new condition they are good for 800+ bhp so obviously the almost new clutch I bought wasnt.
Upon inspection the plates are 3mm thick . New they are 4.2 so with 3 thats a lot of difference . The decreased size meant that although the surfaces were good the holding pressure was down hence the slipping.

So three new exedy carbon plates (£1100 trade :sad2:) are on their way.

We know it has managed 500+ ft lbs of torque already so looking forward to getting the numbers towards the end of next week

The clutch is good for 800-900 bhp - that doesnt mean the engine will be running that power.
The motor was running 720 at the wheels in its previous life and won the Dunlop/Motorsport News Saloon Car championship in 2012 with darren bly driving his full race 32GTR skyline.
Then it was running a T51R turbo which is a real monster and scary at full bore has but had no real power under 5000 rpm .

I want the quickest response possible hence the smaller twin turbos
The 2860-5s turbos max out at between 650 and 700 but should be producing serious torque at between 3000 and 4000 rpm ( wont know untill it is fully mapped)

hope that clarifies things

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back