Oil in the exhaust

tristonm

Car
1993 Mitsu3000gt
I have a 93 3000gt, thats giving intermittent smoke from the exhaust. Had it checked at a shop and they said the "piston seals" are bad and I should replace the engine??? They stated that the cost to repair the engine would be more than putting a used engine in the car. Does this sound right to any of yall. Im going to get a second opinion, I have a feeling they are trying to scam me.

It could be the valve stem seals.

In some cases the valve stem seals can be replenished by using an engine/gearbox seal stop leak. It doesn't cost the world to obtain an has to be added to the oil.

Failing this it is a head off job and will be expensive. On the other hand buying a second hand engine might not help you as you do not know what the condition is when buying it.

Thats what I thought it could be the valve stems. I will get a 2nd opinion, for some reason I believe they are attempting to get more money out of me. He was saying he could get me an engine with about 30,000 miles on it cheaper than fixing the issue with this engine. Dont know how true that is.

The garage's claim does sound plausible, but if you don't have any experience of these people then it is wise to be cautious!

Is this a vr4 or sl

Last edited by a moderator:
A very hard one to call without seeing the car

Sounds like dubious advice to me - it is extremely convinient they have a 30k engine to hand so I would definately get a second opinion.

That doesnt mean they are wrong about the piston seals , although as suggested above , there could be many reasons for the smoke.

I would do a compression test . The tester is very cheap (under £20 from Halfords in the uk) and anyone can do it. The results are pretty foolproof and will confirm a real problem if there is one.

They may also be right about an engine swop being the cheapest way out ( if the engine is u s ) so I would ask for an exact quote to put that engine in just in case
You never know it maight be reasonable but it needs to include guarantee of mileage on their 30k engine ( as in how do they know) . Ask if there a written guarantee on the work. Without both of these I wouldnt entertain an engine swop from the first garage
Oh and do you get to keep your present engine which must be worth something.

There are of course other options
You could just sell the car or simply carry on driving it.

Presuming that the smoke isnt really bad it isnt likely to be terminal and even if it was it wont cost you any more to change the engine even if it fails completely - well apart that is from the trailer costs.

It really depends on how much you like the car and what you want or can spend on it.

IMHO either way you need to do a compression test and get a second opinion before making a decision

Last edited: