Oil concern.

Davsurfa

Torque Junkie
Car
Hyundai Coupe 2.0l
Ok so if you read my wheel painting post you'll know that 8 weeks ago I managed to destroy my engine and after a fortnight of VAG Doc Danny beavering away and a full rebuild/replacement of 90% of the engine I got it back and all was well.

However I have noticed the engine gradually seem to be getting louder(bare in mind I have a rather noticable exhaust note, just hearing tappets and general engine rattle) and today as I went around an island in second with my right foot planted my oil light came on!! Then as I left the island the light went out. So I got home let everything cool and settle then checked the dipstick. Nothing on it :shock: So with the good Doc not working today, I ventured to my local Halfrauds to purchase some golden goo. I then started to top up.

First litre went in, had a smoke, checked the level........... Nothing on the dipstick. Back in to the shop and bought some more.
Second litre went in, at this point there was a little concern, ate a Twirl, watched some of the fast and furious on the satnav, checked the dipstick...... The very tip of the dipstick was now wet!!
For the third time I went make in to the shop and bought yet MORE. The third litre started to go in, by now I was beginning to wonder if it was just running straight out the bottom of the engine and I did actually get on my hands and knees to check!! Nope, no torrents of goo dribbling from the underside. This time I put half of the third litre in slowly and kept checking the stick, after three quarters had gone in the level was finally halfway up the stick!!

So I am wondering, as I've never had a rebuild before and I am aware that there could be "teething" issues, is it normal to have to replace about half of the oil within a thousand miles of a rebuild? The oil is the right colour(not really a surprise considering I've just replaced half of it), the water is still water-coloured, the car runs sweet(still pulling like a frieght train), no smoking, no pools of oil everytime I park up. I'll be going back up to see the Doc in the morning and see what he says. I just wondering if you guys could think of any causes.

As for the wheel painting, I forgot all about this bit, I'm gonna lose the alloys and go with black steelies and spacers. The turbo alloys will get refurbed and sold on.

I know I drive quite hard but not that hard!! It would explain why the light came on if there was only 2 litres left in it. I'll be calling in to RSD tomorrow and seeing why it's losing and where it's losing it. I'll let you all know what he says.

I know the car is quite old(1998), but having just had a rebuild(about 1000 miles ago) this isn't normal then?

Until the pistons bed in a car will use lots of oil. You should ideally change the oil after the first few hundred miles after a rebuild anyway. Keep an eye on the levels each journey.

Until the pistons bed in a car will use lots of oil. You should ideally change the oil after the first few hundred miles after a rebuild anyway. Keep an eye on the levels each journey.

I was hoping someone would say something like that. Fingers crossed that's the only thing. Cheers boys and girls.

The engine was warm, probably 70-80 degrees. Work-wise I blew the head gasket and cracked the head and barrel. These were replaced, the barrels honed and skimmed, the head stripped, skimmed, valves re-ground and seated and all built back up. It runs like a dream!! Just seems a little thirsty on the golden goo!

Is the oil pressure ok and is the oil actually flowing properly around the engine? A massive pressure build up due to a blockage can force the oil into the cylinders. Make sure you get it thoroughly checked out.

Oil pressure is peachy. In the words of the good Doc himself "If you thrash the t*ts off it, it will drink oil." To be honest I haven't been thrashing it but I have had a couple of "enjoyable" drives. He also added that due to the rebuild ALL the oil was removed so everything is now re-coated and the oil settled properly, it's expected to lose some in that manor and if that is added to a couple of energetic runs then it's not a surprising outcome. I'm to 'just keep an eye on it' which sounds fair enough.

I mentioned this to one of the guys in the works office and he said when he bought a new GTi Golf he had to top the oil up before it's first service. He mentioned this at the VW dealership and they said it was quite normal for a brand new VW engine to need topping up a couple of times before the level starts behaving.

A HA!!!! Instead of parking in my usual spot on the drive, for the last couple of days I put it under the carport(cuz I hate having to scrap the frost from the windows), when I drove off to go to work I thought I'd just have a quick mooch to see if there was any oil on the floor and lo and behold there was!!! Dropped in to see if the Doc could shed any light on the subject and it would appear to be coming from the seal between the oil filter and it's housing. First job on saturday morning is to remove the filter, clean everything in sight and replace the oil and filter. Fingers crossed this should solve the leak. I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner actually had any idea of how or what to do with any part of a motor vehicle!!

I have had a clean up under the car today and discovered that it's not leaking from the filter housing, but somewhere nearby and being spread all over the place. So having cleaned as much as possible I drove around the block. Had a glance underneath and there were streams of oil running down the sump plate from front to back. Nipped up the Docs and they diagnosed the cam sensor seal(?) was shot. As soon as Luke, the Docs righthand man, touched the sensor it virtually fell out. He swapped the seal, jet washed the underside and I ran it around the block again. This time there were no rivers of black on the sump and we think it has solved the issue. I will be keeping an eye on it over the next couple of days.

Also today I've finally fitted the trim at the bottom of the passenger door that has been missing since I got the car. I have managed to stop the middle box of the exhaust knocking against the heat shield, only to find there is a rattle now coming from the backbox! On closer inspection the baffles have come loose and are trying to make a bid for freedom. It sounds quite sweet but it'll need replacing. It just seems there is constantly something that needs sorting on this car. Although to be honest it keeps me out of trouble and amuses me.

Cars are like that sometimes! Exhaust baffles can sound rough for ages. HMM, do you give the engine lots of stick perchance? How much tread depth per mile do you use:lol:

Cars are like that sometimes! Exhaust baffles can sound rough for ages. HMM, do you give the engine lots of stick perchance? How much tread depth per mile do you use:lol:

I like to drive in a spirited manor :lol: The backbox was secondhand when I got it and considering I only paid a fiver for it, it's not too bad :blink1: Time to find a new one, I'm thinking of a Savage Universal one this time.

Tread depth per mile is quite reasonable to be honest, you must remember that it's only a 1.6 and runs stock size tyres so they are quite cheap really :amuse:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back