Obscure ways of getting power

Exodus

Car
pug 306 xl 1.4 :(
ok guys less handbags at dawn about who's car is faster, though i admit it is the best part of car ownership and modding. Its time for news of fun and effective mods, anyone know of obscure ways to add power output????

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Obsure was of getting power

made this is own thread as its not 306 related.

how about this
street_legal_vw_powered_1.jpg

street_legal_vw_powered_3.jpg

Jet engine Nice ;)

thanks for the suggestion, not quite what i was looking for lol any others?

I think that swapping an engine is pretty obscure compared to the relatively simple process of just buying a different car.

I'm with HDI. People on here seem far to quick to suggest an engine swap when it's far far easier and cheaper just to buy a different car. Fine if you're swapping in something random like from another model or manufacturer, but if you're swapping one 306 engine for another, it's a waste of time and money.

Your ignoring the fun factor and the feeling that you have done something yourself MA. On paper it is cheaper to get a faster car but there is so much satisfaction in making your own loved car faster.

I think the pure waste of time and money far far outweighs the satisfaction of performing an engine swap of which a chimp with a spanner would be capable of. The real satisfaction comes from engine swaps that don't have matching mounts, loom, driveshafts etc....all in my own opinion of course.

I guess I'm saying that (in the case of most people) if you're going to go through all that trouble, you might as well do something worthwhile and challenging.

I think that swapping an engine is pretty obscure compared to the relatively simple process of just buying a different car.
i bought the car for £10 and if you think that i can buy a 200 bhp car for £160 please tell me where

Last edited:

i bought the car for £10 and if you think that i can buy a 200 bhp car for £160 please tell me where

That's a good answer given the low purchase price but are you really going to manage an engine swap with a budget of £150?

Don't get me wrong that is ambitious lol, but i can get a vtr engine for £100 (not a big improovement) but i am looking at a 2.0 16V from the 406 which is curently going for £40 :) plus i know lots of scrap yards that don't really know what they have and will give awesome deals, so its a bit of a wait and see job, short of that the 306 has its original alloys which i would sell if times got desperate

I'll dismiss my 2.2 HDi idea then - a complete one will set you back three grand by the time you've got all the ancilliaries.

lol yeah thats out of my range, it would be cheaper to buy a new car! more things like the vtr, vts, 406 range, 206 maybe anything from the xu10 range lol

That's kind of where my mind is going.

Buy a car with the performance you want as standard and just tweak it to your personal taste.

That way your insurance will stay down. They'd rather insure a standard 3.0 litre V6 than a 1.8 which has had a 2.0 engine 'dropped' in. I use that word lightly, engine swapping is costly.

If everyone went out and just bought a more powerfull car, then sites like this wouldn't exist. Half the fun is knowing you did it yourself.

My metro cost me nothing, engine conversion was about £500 all in, then I did some more mode to that engine and it was a type r slayer.

That enine was only available in bigger heavier cars that would have been much harder to make as fast, let alone make it handle.

I agree, there is a place for modding and tuning. I'm not saying 'don't', I'm just saying that if performance alone is the goal then it's more easily achieved by starting with a car that has strong performance in standard tune.

Having retro-fitted a 1.8 litre unit into a Metro, did you have to make substantial suspension alterations to sort out the handling? That is quite a project, and I am not unimpressed.

thanks :) you really shouldn't be impressed though, the 1.8 is exactly the same externally as the 1.4 that came out. So it slotted straight in even with the standard gearbox.

Handling wise not much was needed, as the 1.8 weighs the same as the 1.4 it caused no issues. The Gti comes standard with front and rear arbs, so it was just lowered with higher pressure (hydrogas suspension)

It's a conversion I will definatly be dong again, next time with a 160vvc, different gearbox with LSD and more goodies :)

That hydragas system was an innovation by Alec Issigonis in the 1960s. The only thing it lacked was sealing quality - leaks were common. The earlier Hyrolastic was reckon to be better but left cars bouncing all over the road.

Citroen's pressuried oleo-pneumatic was interesting as well.

AR was ahead of its time in so many ways but so let down by ridiculous management issues in the 1970s and 1980s

Thanks for the info mate :)

The hydrogas works well when it has dampers like with the Gti, a lot of people individualise them too. Although for road rallies with many bumps I have heard good things about leaving the units linked (on the k series metros it's linked front to rear) for a better contact with the road

did you upgrade all the brakes the rest might be ok but its a faster lump that needs more braking

i am with hdi if you want a fast car buy one if you want a fun car buy one
i had a volvo c70 t5 that was a fast car but got bord with it goes it was fwd
so sold that after 4 months to get another trans am that is more fun and just as quick plus its rwd so can drift in it and leaves better black lines and sounds a hell of a lot better

the brakes are exacty the same as fitted to the mgf, which was a heavier car and fitted with a 1.8 as standard so the brakes were quite adequate :) had to push the pedal quite hard but it would pull up fine, many are run on track with only updated pads and can outbrake a lot of cars.